• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

landlord sold home,new owner problems

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

anglgurl

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

I live in a duplex.My place just sold on the 30th of August.My side of the duplex(me and my family) got a 28 day notice to get out,so his college son can move in.I have been here 5yrs.Because of the financial bind this put me into,i had to take the Sept rent and put it towards a deposit on another home for me and my family.Now i am receiving rude emails from the new landlord to pay my rent for this month or he is keeping my security deposit.How can I afford $715 for rent on this place,a deposit and a first months rent on another all in one month,not to mention i have a special needs child and two others.This man is very well to do.Can i fight this?

JETX

Can i fight this?
Why do you think that your landlord is required to let you live there for free??
You have no legal right to live there for free. Pay your rent or accept the fact that your landlord can evict you.... and retain your deposit by offsetting it against any claims (unpaid rent, damages, etc.) and pursue a judgment against you.

Your inability to pay a deposit to move is not your landlord's problem.

Some Random Guy

Do you have a lease? Your landlord has to give you proper notice to move, but he is not responsible for letting you live rent free so you can afford the deposit on a new place.

You can certainly fight this. Start by paying the rent you owe and then look up the landlord tenant laws in your state to find out what notice he is required to give you.

nextwife

Do you have a lease? Your landlord has to give you proper notice to move, but he is not responsible for letting you live rent free so you can afford the deposit on a new place.

You can certainly fight this. Start by paying the rent you owe and then look up the landlord tenant laws in your state to find out what notice he is required to give you.

If they are MTM, the Sept 1 notice was sufficient.

But they are correct that your rental payment obligation has nothing to do with whatever deposit you need in a different place.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">