• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord sold house, new landlord problems

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CrookedComcast

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

I just moved in March, and my Landlord told me the house was presently on the market. We agreed to move in and signed a written lease so if/when the property was sold we as tenants would be protected. Well, it must have been a short sale, because less than 30 days after being told there was a potential buyer, they were moving in next door. My previous landlord only used this house as an income property he lived elsewhere (one of the benefits). My husband and I did not want to live in a two family house with the landlord being the 2nd family in the house (another tenant no probem), because we knew what kinds of issues could arise. Our new Landlords, are slobs!!! We've been here since March, and in one week of them being here our kitchen sink is backed up!!! According to my old landlord a single woman had purchased the home, but since she moved in a week ago, it's been her, her mother, her father, and just a random other guy EVERYDAY, and EVERY NIGHT!!! We came home to the smell of manure because of some plumbing liquid they used to unclog their drains, just to look and see our kitchen sink half full of dirty water that will not drain. When I asked if they were having problems with the plumbing she said yes but everything was fine now, and I told her well now our sink is backed up. Landlord tells me she'll ask her dad to come take a look at it. Then as we were on our way out, my landlord rings the bell to tell me that a plumber would be by tomorrow. The father then says "she's at the door now, so let's just look at the pipes in the basement." Mind you I was on my way out, but to keep the peace I just let them come in and take a look. Upon inspection the father comes upstairs and says we'll have to knock that wall down to get to the pipes. (Our basement is finished, theirs is not, and the pipes are exposed on their side, why would they knock down our wall???) Anyway, when finally get leave the 4 of them are on the porch and the mother shouts from the porch and don't come back (my husband didn't hear this, so I thought it was my imagination) However, when we got back, they had moved both their cars to the driveway (the parents's cars, landlord was parked on street) forcing us to park in the street when our lease says we are to park in the driveway (we have two young children, a 4 year old and 9 month old that is not walking and is carried to and from the house in her car seat.) This morning as we left they had left empty plastic bottles and cups on the front porch. They brought a new air conditioner and the empty box stayed outside under it for 2 days before they put it wherever. It hasn't even been a month with the new landlord and we're having issues. I have 7 months left on my lease, since the lease is with the previous owner, would we be able to break our lease? If not is their anyway I can legally get out of here?

BL

I just moved in March, and my Landlord told me the house was presently on the market. We agreed to move in and signed a written lease so if/when the property was sold we as tenants would be protected. Well, it must have been a short sale, because less than 30 days after being told there was a potential buyer, they were moving in next door. My previous landlord only used this house as an income property he lived elsewhere (one of the benefits). My husband and I did not want to live in a two family house with the landlord being the 2nd family in the house (another tenant no probem), because we knew what kinds of issues could arise. Our new Landlords, are slobs!!! We've been here since March, and in one week of them being here our kitchen sink is backed up!!! According to my old landlord a single woman had purchased the home, but since she moved in a week ago, it's been her, her mother, her father, and just a random other guy EVERYDAY, and EVERY NIGHT!!! We came home to the smell of manure because of some plumbing liquid they used to unclog their drains, just to look and see our kitchen sink half full of dirty water that will not drain. When I asked if they were having problems with the plumbing she said yes but everything was fine now, and I told her well now our sink is backed up. Landlord tells me she'll ask her dad to come take a look at it. Then as we were on our way out, my landlord rings the bell to tell me that a plumber would be by tomorrow. The father then says "she's at the door now, so let's just look at the pipes in the basement." Mind you I was on my way out, but to keep the peace I just let them come in and take a look. Upon inspection the father comes upstairs and says we'll have to knock that wall down to get to the pipes. (Our basement is finished, theirs is not, and the pipes are exposed on their side, why would they knock down our wall???) Anyway, when finally get leave the 4 of them are on the porch and the mother shouts from the porch and don't come back (my husband didn't hear this, so I thought it was my imagination) However, when we got back, they had moved both their cars to the driveway (the parents's cars, landlord was parked on street) forcing us to park in the street when our lease says we are to park in the driveway (we have two young children, a 4 year old and 9 month old that is not walking and is carried to and from the house in her car seat.) This morning as we left they had left empty plastic bottles and cups on the front porch. They brought a new air conditioner and the empty box stayed outside under it for 2 days before they put it wherever. It hasn't even been a month with the new landlord and we're having issues. I have 7 months left on my lease, since the lease is with the previous owner, would we be able to break our lease? If not is their anyway I can legally get out of here?
Not if your lease wasn't for both sides ( the whole house ).

But you can certainly ask them to let you out of your lease in writing .

In the meantime if they can get to the pipes on their side insist they do .

I don't know why they can not try to snake them out ?

Who's Liable?

You have to abide by the terms of your lease. It is binding and survives the sale of the home.

You have provided nothing that would deem a legal reason to break your lease. However I would recommend you provide WRITTEN requests for work done. This puts the LL on a time limit and creates a paper trail.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">