• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

landlord sold property,does new landlord have to honor current lease?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jenessa

I hope you can help me.I live in the state of New Hampshire.We rent a duplex and have currently been living here for 8 months.We signed a 3 year lease with our landlord.Just this past saturday we were imformed that he has sold this house and the new landlord will be incontact with us.On sunday evening new owner came over and wanted us to sign a new lease with him with a $350 increase in rent.If were not going to sign he wants us vacated on June 15 (that is his closing date,he doesnt own yet).But my question is since we currently have a lease for over 2 more years and we a current on payments,doesnt the new landlord have to honor that lease until it has expired?
Thank you again and any information on this matter is greatly appreciated.

L

LL

I don't know anything about NH law, but in general, the lease is an obligation on the property. If it predates the sale, then the property owner, new or old, is obligated to honor the lease.

Check NH law to be sure. Then write a nice letter, pointing this out, and see what he replies.

D

dj1

Your lease is transferred with the sale PERIOD!

If the new landlord wants you to move he will have to PAY YOU to move.

I would suggest starting at $2500 for the movers, ALL of your security back, plus at least a month or two free rent.

After all if the landord wants you to move its at his convienence.

UNLESS your current landlord has given you the middle finger by putting somewhere hidden in the lease, a clause that cancells the lease upon sale of the premisis.

[Edited by dj1 on 05-08-2001 at 11:53 AM]

P

peach

Jenessa,

Like LL said check with N.H. law, in N.J. a lease has to be upheld even when someone else purchases the property.I think that in most states that is the way it is done. If the new landlord wants you to move he has to pay for all your moving expenses. So if you want to stay I really don't think he can do anything about it until your lease runs out.

Peach

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">