• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

landlord steals our electricity

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

frogdahl

live in bend oregon. Answered ad for house to rent for 825.00. It's on a ranch. she lived in trailer in back. we have electric meter, and she does. she sold the ranch but we can stay. after she left we found out we were paying all her electricty. she said she thought she told us. our lease is standard lease, we pay 825.00 plus utilities. she said nothing about her freezer in her garage, or her heat or water etc. that's all she could say when I told her that neither my husband or myself would have rented a house knowing that she was in control of what our utilites would be. she said I could rent this house for 900.00 a month, so figured Im not here that much, so would only charge 825.00 and that makes up the difference. I told her if she had told us that we wouldn't have rented. Do we have any recoarse. New owners say she had the trailer on eligally, that is why she had to do the electric like that. He has shut off all power except what we are using, and is getting the trailer off the ranch.
Teri

TCB4U2B2B

My Two Cents

Hello Teri

Consider the money you paid to the electric company for the landlords portion of electric power "LOST BUCKS."

The electric company will not offer you any help, trust me on this. Don't even waste your time on it. As long as there wasn't any theft of electric power from the electric company, the utility could care less who pays.

About the only option you have is to first "PROVE" your case with pictures prior to even considering legal actions. Testimony from the new owners is also worthless.

The landlord who lived in the trailer will claim she gave you that $75.00 a month rental rate deduction for the expressed purpose to cover her monthly electric costs.

"Bingo"....
your word against hers...She wins and You lose...:(

Case Closed.
Courts Adjourned.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">