• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

landlord sublet my room but is still asking me for rent.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bassett383

I live in England but am fairly sure the law is similar for this situation.

In September I moved into my university house with 5 friends. I was to pay £900 at the beginning of each semester, when easter finished i had jury service so was a little late heading 130 miles back to uni. I was then told not to bother because a girl has moved into my room paying our landlord £30 a week cash in hand. The landlord is now asking me for rent and threatening court even though I havn't stepped foot in the house this semester and he is renting the room to a third party, is this legal and what can i do about it?

Any help at all is appreciated :)

Who's Liable?

I live in England but am fairly sure the law is similar for this situation.

In September I moved into my university house with 5 friends. I was to pay £900 at the beginning of each semester, when easter finished i had jury service so was a little late heading 130 miles back to uni. I was then told not to bother because a girl has moved into my room paying our landlord £30 a week cash in hand. The landlord is now asking me for rent and threatening court even though I havn't stepped foot in the house this semester and he is renting the room to a third party, is this legal and what can i do about it?

US law only. Not sure if the laws are similar, hence he US laws only.

However, here in the US, a landlord CANNOT rent a room out, and still charge a previous renter money for the same room. It's called double dipping.

If the landlord sues you, you would need to prove to the judge that there is a second renter in the flat.

Just Blue

I live in England but am fairly sure the law is similar for this situation.In September I moved into my university house with 5 friends. I was to pay £900 at the beginning of each semester, when easter finished i had jury service so was a little late heading 130 miles back to uni. I was then told not to bother because a girl has moved into my room paying our landlord £30 a week cash in hand. The landlord is now asking me for rent and threatening court even though I havn't stepped foot in the house this semester and he is renting the room to a third party, is this legal and what can i do about it?

If you are so "sure" that ALL of the U.S is the same as the U.K. ...Why don't you google up the law for your country?:confused:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">