• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

landlord suing for unpaid rent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

karenj

What is the name of your state? Washington

I recently moved out of a rental home and had a verbal agreement with the landlord to use my deposit and a check of $300 that would equal the amount of rent owed. I had missread the lease and thought I had paid first and last months rent.
Now the land lord is suing me for the rent. Also there were two people on the lease and he is only suing me. What can I do?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

karenj said:
What is the name of your state? Washington

I recently moved out of a rental home and had a verbal agreement with the landlord to use my deposit and a check of $300 that would equal the amount of rent owed. I had missread the lease and thought I had paid first and last months rent.
Now the land lord is suing me for the rent. Also there were two people on the lease and he is only suing me. What can I do?

My response:

Pay. That's what you can do. Simple!

Washington has "Joint and Several" liability. That means the LL can sue one or both of you, as signatories to the lease. Guess which roommate the LL chose? That's right - - YOU!

Now, you get to file a Cross-Complaint against your former roommate for "Indemnity" - - which means, suing that person for their share of the rent.

How's that for a State of Confusion?

IAAL

K

karenj

The other person on the lease I am no longer in contact with and do not know how to get ahold of that person to sue him for the other half of the rent. But my check I gave to the landlord stated it was for the rent, and he cashed it. Doesn't that have any merit to it . How can he still sue me for the rent?

HomeGuru

karenj said:
The other person on the lease I am no longer in contact with and do not know how to get ahold of that person to sue him for the other half of the rent. But my check I gave to the landlord stated it was for the rent, and he cashed it. Doesn't that have any merit to it . How can he still sue me for the rent?
**A: read the post by IAAL.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">