• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

landlord/tenant case on my credit report

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

melony

What is the name of your state? Bronx, New York

Over two years ago I didn't pay the rent due towards the last two months of my lease. Instead, I used the money for a new apartment, because of frustration due to numerous and continous plumbing and leakage problems throughout the year I rented. It got so bad at one time, that I had urine and feces pouring through my bathroom ceiling from the bathroom upstairs from me. This was actually caused my the super and the landlord himself trying to fix another "supposed" leak they thought was in my apartment and wasn't. Anyway, I lost my patience, and became very frustrated because these problems were consistent throughout the whole year. Now, I am trying to rent a larger apartment than the one I am in now, and come to find out the landlord file a case against me for rent due. This is on my credit report, what do I have to do to put this situation behind me and get the apartment that I want?

JETX

"what do I have to do to put this situation behind me and get the apartment that I want?"

Negotiate a settlement of the claim and the removal of the information from your credit file. Then, pay the agreed amount and get a signed "Satisfaction of Judgment".

M

melony

who do I negotiate this with? I've contacted The American Registry twice to order my case report, then try to take it from there. But, I haven't received any documents as of yet? Is there a way I can contact a person and not the automatic operator system?

Z

zippa

melony:

If you had a rent stabilzed lease for that apartment you could have sued the landlord, for a rent reduction.

But YOU moved rather then read your lease and to ask questions about your rights.

So Now its on your credit report.

Does this give you a Big Hint of what to do next time you have problems?

JETX

Ignore, Zippo. He is just an unemployed Welfare-sucking forum troll who continues to return under new names every time he is kicked off the forum. Has no friends and gets his 'kicks' stirring the stew on the forum.

M

melony

TO ZIPPA, YOU ARE DEFINITELY RIGHT! I SURE LEARNED THE HARD WAY. I'VE NEVER BEEN SO CONCERNED WITH MY TENANT RIGHTS UNTIL NOW.

TO HALKET, SHOULD I CONTACT MY PREVIOUS LANLORD BY CERTIFIED MAIL OR CALL? AND WHAT IF I DON'T GET A RESPONSE, WHAT DO I DO? ALSO WHERE WOULD I GET THE "SATISFACTION OF JUDGEMENT". i KNOW, I KNOW I'M CLUELESS. I REALLY DO APPRECIATE THE ADDVICE AND THANK YOU!

JETX

First, please turn your caps lock key off. Using all caps is considered shouting and a violation of 'online ettiquette'.

As for your questions:
1) Try a call first. Tell them that you have just found out about the alleged past due bill and would like to know what you can do. If you doubt the correctness of the claim, have them send you a copy of the bill by mail (or FAX). If the call doesn't work, then try again by certified mail. If you are able to negotiate a settlement, get it in writing.... including their promise to either remove the judgment from your report, or to report it as 'paid in full as agreed'.
2) You might also contact the court (if you know it) and see if they will send you a copy of the casefile, or go by and pick one up. Read the file and see if the plaintiff did it right... including service. If they didn't, then you could file a "Motion for Dismissal" and the court would set a hearing date for you to explain why the judgment should be 'set aside' (voided).
3) You get the "Satisfaction of Judgment" from the judgment creditor when you pay the judgment (or negotiated amount).

Z

zippa

maelony

Thats why a rent stabilized lease is GOLD in NYC, you could have lived there for months and not paid rent to the landlord, instead you would have paid it to the court, and a judge would decide if the landlord was entitled to the full amount.

But now its probably too late...unless you kept all your pictures and letters and can prove to a Judge, the dates you left by phone/electic bills, and that it was so awful you had to leave.

If you had a rent stabilized lease, the landlord would be entitled to a 20% increase immediately plus 1/40 the cost of repairs, so the landlord has a BIG incentive to pisss you off into leaving.

Next it is illegal for a landlord to charge the next tenant for repairs in the form of higher rent, if the landlord just let the place rot, but the new tenant would be just like you wouldnt ask any questions, untill it is too late to do anything about it.

remember all a crooked landlord/slumlord needs to succede is..........a DUMB tenant!

Last edited:
A

annefan1000

Oh gee, look who forgot to take his behavioral modification medicine again. :(

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">