• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord/Tenant key giving at the start of lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mwooster

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Baltimore, Maryland

I signed a lease with a start date on May 1st; however, I will not be there physically (probably will be out of the country for a month). The landlord is uneasy about giving the key to someone else whom I designate. What should I do? Do I have to be there in person? I understand where he is coming from, with the room inspection and everything. Thank you.

mwooster

Well

I plan to move in when I get back in about a month or 2, but since I have to start paying for it then, I'd like to have the keys. I'm not sure about the laws regarding situations like this. Do I have to be there or am I allowed to designate someone if I assume responsibilities, designate that person for the room inspection as well... etc, and even if I do assume full responsibilities, can the landlord still require me being there in person?

Proserpina

I plan to move in when I get back in about a month or 2, but since I have to start paying for it then, I'd like to have the keys. I'm not sure about the laws regarding situations like this. Do I have to be there or am I allowed to designate someone if I assume responsibilities, designate that person for the room inspection as well... etc, and even if I do assume full responsibilities, can the landlord still require me being there in person?

Yeap, the landlord can require for you to be present.

mwooster

Why do you not get the key when you are back?

You have to pay but thats a different story.
Dude, no, I do get the keys when I'm back of course. It's just that I want to landlord to give up at least a set of keys to me via my designated person when the lease starts.

Seems like I can't do that.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It sounds to me like the LL is worried that the OP is planning to have somebody else live there in his place. I would refuse to hand over the key in this situation also.

mwooster

It sounds to me like the LL is worried that the OP is planning to have somebody else live there in his place. I would refuse to hand over the key in this situation also.
yeah, like I said I understand where he is coming from; I'd not be comfortable dealing with this either if I were the landlord lol. It's just that seems like I have to make plans for this, or I don't get the keys for real until get back.

STEPHAN

Look like your principles are colliding with your LLs principles ;-)

I understand both, however your LL makes the rules.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">