• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

landlord/tenent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

halainat

What is the name of your state? va
can a tenent change locks without notice to landlord and what rights does landlord have. the tenant is always late on payment, i can never get ahold of her and she has trashed my place which was new and in excellent condions. she also changed the locks, would not return my calls. can i go and change the locks back. need help please.

Last edited:

HomeGuru

halainat said:
What is the name of your state? va
can a tenent change locks without notice to landlord and what rights does landlord have

**A: why are you asking and what is your exact circumstance?

No, the tenant CANNOT change the locks on their apartment unless the landlord has given you permission and you must give them a spare key. The landlord must have access to the apartment in case there is an emergency.

Please let us know if there are some unusual circumstances in your situation.

halainat

tenant never pays on time, always late, i cannot get intouch with her even after leaving messages sever times.. i went by in person and found out that she changed locks without notice. can i change locks back, i need her out at this point, she trashed my place.

halainat

andrea711ct said:
No, the tenant CANNOT change the locks on their apartment unless the landlord has given you permission and you must give them a spare key. The landlord must have access to the apartment in case there is an emergency.

Please let us know if there are some unusual circumstances in your situation.
i really need help with this forum, for i am new to this

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">