• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord terminated lease, we wanna move sooner, did it reverted to month 2 month?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

duynsathe

*did it REVERT (not revertED)

What is the name of your state? Oregon

We have a lease and it runs until June. The landlord let us know that he is retiring and would like to move into this house in January since he bought it for himself, but rented it out until his retirment. We agreed, since we don't really want to live here any longer anyway.

However, we have now bought a house, which we can move into within 30 days. The landlord insists we pay him until the date that he has set for moving in, or otherwise pay until June after all (out of spite I guess, I don't think that's possible anymore since he already terminated the lease in writing)

I was just told by the builder of our new house, that if a landlord gives notice, even if the move out date is not for another three months, the lease is broken, and immediately reverts to a month to month lease. This would mean that I could give 30 days notice right now.

Is this true?

Last edited:

ENASNI

Really a little complicated. He gave YOU a termination of lease in writing? Reading What exactly....??

Who's Liable?

*did it REVERT (not revertED)

What is the name of your state? Oregon

We have a lease and it runs until June. The landlord let us know that he is retiring and would like to move into this house in January since he bought it for himself, but rented it out until his retirment. We agreed, since we don't really want to live here any longer anyway.
Perfect! Just so long as you get his letter of lease termination in WRITING and a letter in WRITING releasing you of any future debts to said unit.

However, we have now bought a house, which we can move into within 30 days.
Fine, just so long as the LL really did release you from the lease. Most LL will verbally release you, but than sue once they see how hard it is to re-rent the unit or if there is a change in their plans.

The landlord insists we pay him until the date that he has set for moving in,
If that is the termination point of the lease, than he is correct. IF the termination of the lease was immediate, than tell him to pound sand...

or otherwise pay until June after all (out of spite I guess, I don't think that's possible anymore since he already terminated the lease in writing)
See above

I was just told by the builder of our new house, that if a landlord gives notice, even if the move out date is not for another three months, the lease is broken, and immediately reverts to a month to month lease. This would mean that I could give 30 days notice right now. Is this true?
Partially... If the LL did indeed terminate your lease and it was immediate, than accepted a rental check, than yes, you would be a month-to-month tenant and would only need to give proper notification to vacate.

It all matters on what DATE the LL signed the termination agreement...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">