• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord threatening to add late charges after giving itemized bill

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

archenstone

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I just gave my landlord a 1000.00 check that was 660.00 for February's rent and 340.00 back pay, which brings my past balance to 674.31. On my check I specified what I was paying.
He just called me and told me the check catches me up to January and that I have yet to pay February's rent. That he is going to charge me 710.00+50late charge + 5.00 day after as per our lease [it says that]

In December I requested an itemized bill so I could give a serious effort to pay what I owe. On 1/13/11 he provided an itemized bill with only 1 late charge. Now he is saying that he gave me a false statement, that he has late charges dating back several months; he simply deleted the records of them prior to giving me the statement. He's telling me he now wants all these late charges he hid from me and today he is charging me 710.00+50 +5 day starting from the 5th on. Our agreement verbally has been "Pay the rent...make payments towards what you owe as you can, as soon as you can." I feel this is against what we agreed. Is there anything I can do?

Florida law says he's responsible for pest control but after our first year here I was forced to pay for pest control because he kept saying "Yeah sure" and yeah sure never happened. I have a tub with a rust hole large enough for rodent entry, a broken door and I had to pay to replace 2 windows during Christmas. I have a refrigerator that leaks water from the freezer and I had to buy a washer after the one that was here flooded the store room, damaging my personal items.

Gail in Georgia

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I just gave my landlord a 1000.00 check that was 660.00 for February's rent and 340.00 back pay, which brings my past balance to 674.31. On my check I specified what I was paying.
He just called me and told me the check catches me up to January and that I have yet to pay February's rent. That he is going to charge me 710.00+50late charge + 5.00 day after as per our lease [it says that]

What is your normal monthly rent and what day of the month does it become late, initiating the late fees that are stated in your copy of the lease?

"Florida law says he's responsible for pest control but after our first year here I was forced to pay for pest control because he kept saying "Yeah sure" and yeah sure never happened. I have a tub with a rust hole large enough for rodent entry, a broken door and I had to pay to replace 2 windows during Christmas. I have a refrigerator that leaks water from the freezer and I had to buy a washer after the one that was "

And your point about including this in a posting that asks about late charges is...what? That somehow you don't owe these charges because of this?

Gail

atomizer

There is no chance the additional 5 dollars a day is unreasonable. In fact, it is quite generous. Your lease defines your charges, not some random conversation that may or may not have transpired between the two of you.

FarmerJ

Tenants dont get to arrange the order of amounts of unpaid past due balances even if they are getting caught up, LLs when they tolerate tenants who get behind by being willing to accept payment plans have the right to apply funds to the oldest unpaid balances in order to clear the older unpaid amount off the books.

Searchertwin

And did you notice that the LL is being generous in letting you play catch up with reasonable late fees? As Atomizer stated, "5 dollars a day is unreasonable. In fact, it is quite generous."

And as Farmer stated, "LLs when they tolerate tenants who get behind," now become the LL who is a slum LL. Because the nasty LL wants his money?

Never fails, does it?

And for damaged property, ever heard of renters insurance?

archenstone

Look, I simply shelled out another 674.00 to be caught up with him. I'm not stupid enough to think I didn't owe him money. Of course I did. My concern is him telling me I owe 'xxxx" amount of dollars to be caught up with him. then he turns around and says "Oh but you also have these charges..." after I pay him the agreed amount.

The reason I mentioned the things that are damaged is the fact that he was supposed to fix these things...and provide some kind of pest control....and never did. Don't know about the people that replied to this....but I refused to continue letting my children and myself suffer from insect feces and bugs biting/crawling on us at at night simply to drag a landlord out into doing his job. Tried that a whole year....didn't work.

I live in a neighborhood I found out wasn't safe the hard way...hence my door is damaged and two windows shattered in winter. I had to pay for the windows or subject my children to cold. The door is still damaged from forced entry. ANNND last night cops where 3 trailers down RAIDING the place! I was only seeking to know my legal rights/limitations here....I was not looking for a "bash the behind tenant" party

Oh yes... and did I mention my landlord and I had agreed on a payment plan and I stuck with it? HE is the one who suddenly thrust extra charges in my face and told me he had been deleting him from our correspondences. Rent is 660mo for 2bd trailer if paid by the third. 710mo paid late+5.00 a day. lease covered my year+month to month. Would have moved to a safer place if he hadn't pressed me for another 674 same day. That is 1674.00 total for 1 month behind and current rent+ deleted charges and repair costs to his home.

thank you for your time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">