• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord Threatening Eviction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lindsey1020

My boyfriend and I have been living in a duplex since June 2014. Recently we had a couple (who are drug dealers) move in above us. They went down in the basement and damaged our dryer vent. We complained to our landlord that they damaged it (we witnessed them hacking away at the dryer event with a pair of scissors) and the tenants threatened to damage more of our property. A day later we received a phone call from our landlord where she yelled at us about damaging our own property and then hung up on us when we tried to argue our side. Today she sent my boyfriend an email saying that we need to follow HER rules and that if we do not fix the dryer vent that the upstairs tenants destroyed that she would send us an eviction notice. She said we cannot be down in the basement if the upstairs tenants are down there and that she will lock us out of the basement and move our washer and dryer out on the street if we do not fix her property, even though we did not touch it. We have already contacted the police and they know of the upstairs drug dealer very well. I plan on meeting with a lawyer next week, but would like some extra advice before then so I can sleep a little easier at night since I am unbelievably stressed out.

We have been great tenants. We have paid our rent and water bill on time every single month for the last year and a half. We mow the lawn with our own lawn mower that we had to buy and take care of the yard.

I live in Wisconsin.

Any help would be greatly appreciated at this stressful time, thank you!

Just Blue

My boyfriend and I have been living in a duplex since June 2014. Recently we had a couple (who are drug dealers) move in above us. They went down in the basement and damaged our dryer vent. We complained to our landlord that they damaged it (we witnessed them hacking away at the dryer event with a pair of scissors) and the tenants threatened to damage more of our property. A day later we received a phone call from our landlord where she yelled at us about damaging our own property and then hung up on us when we tried to argue our side. Today she sent my boyfriend an email saying that we need to follow HER rules and that if we do not fix the dryer vent that the upstairs tenants destroyed that she would send us an eviction notice. She said we cannot be down in the basement if the upstairs tenants are down there and that she will lock us out of the basement and move our washer and dryer out on the street if we do not fix her property, even though we did not touch it. We have already contacted the police and they know of the upstairs drug dealer very well. I plan on meeting with a lawyer next week, but would like some extra advice before then so I can sleep a little easier at night since I am unbelievably stressed out.

We have been great tenants. We have paid our rent and water bill on time every single month for the last year and a half. We mow the lawn with our own lawn mower that we had to buy and take care of the yard.

I live in Wisconsin.

Any help would be greatly appreciated at this stressful time, thank you!
There is legally correct and there is just saving your a$$. Move. For your own safety. You don't need to live in such a place. I wish you the best of luck!!

Blue:)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">