• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord took my deposit money and never gave me a lease or keys..And not returning .

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

leelee718

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio....I filled out a app on a new apartment, gave the deposit money (same as rent)...It's been a week and I havn't heard anything about my $$ or if I'm approved to move in!! The landlord stopped returning my calls and still have my deposit $$.....NEVER GOT TO MOVE IN! PLEASE HELP ME

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio....I filled out a app on a new apartment, gave the deposit money (same as rent)...It's been a week and I havn't heard anything about my $$ or if I'm approved to move in!! The landlord stopped returning my calls and still have my deposit $$.....NEVER GOT TO MOVE IN! PLEASE HELP ME
How was the deposit paid (cash, check or money order), and did you receive a receipt?

Are you sure that the person who took your application and money was authorized to rent the apartment?

Check with the neighbors so that they can put you in touch with the manager or owner, to be sure you are dealing with the person authorized to rent the unit, and second, so you can see if there is another way to reach them (if they are the right person).

IF the above suggestions don't work out, then contact the city recorder to find out who owns the property, and contact them to see who is responsible for managing the property and handing the renting of new units.

LearnedHand

Deposits are NOT RENT

Otherwise they would be called RENT !

Furthermore some deposits are simply to secure a place on a list of potential tenants.

Surely you got some kind of receipt or deposit agreement, what does it say ?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">