• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord trying to charge me for Sewer repairs.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

xylene

Sewers don't develop clogs and back up due to "normal use".l
One, it is a septic system, not a sewer. So rain (or lack of), changes in the water table, permeability of the field, all those things can cause slow running. Which lead to backup and clogs. Without anything but water waste and tp in the equation.

Even in sewers, water conditions, pipe conditions all call lead to the accumulation of biofilm, fouling and clogs. Without anything but water waste and tp in the equation.

Your logic is that a clog proves tenant fault - which is... water waste and tp.

Leumas

So what your saying is that the damage / clog etc was in a pipe that connects multiple units to the septic system ? is the LL billing just you for the damage or did the LL split the bill up into 25 % for each tenant ? If so its very simple your LL cant really go after every one for what might be ones actions. BUT I gotta ask just what was it that was found ? feminine hygiene products? Grease? cat liter? condoms? Wipes ? cig butts ? ( even though many claim to be septic safe they really arent ) second question I gotta ask , did your landlord give to each tenant information as to what they should not put down the sewer ? (or are there garbage disposals in each unit ?) { pretty much beside waste water+ toilet and TP really nothing else should go down the drains} did your roommate by chance happen to video what the plumber found ?
Yep that's all there was, a large chunk of what seemed to be accumulated TP the plumber used a shovel to break up near a filter junction of some kind.

Leumas

One, it is a septic system, not a sewer. So rain (or lack of), changes in the water table, permeability of the field, all those things can cause slow running. Which lead to backup and clogs. Without anything but water waste and tp in the equation.

Even in sewers, water conditions, pipe conditions all call lead to the accumulation of biofilm, fouling and clogs. Without anything but water waste and tp in the equation.

Your logic is that a clog proves tenant fault - which is... water waste and tp.
Thank you! Exactly what I was about to say. I've never heard of anything in existence that won't eventually break down with normal use. Gail's statement is fallacious.

FarmerJ

One of the group homes Ive worked at had a septic system that had a screen like area that had in the past had to be cleared manually since that home also had a office and meeting room attached to it they could never determine if it was the Homes staff & clients flushing things like paper toweling or wipes or other non flushables or if it was office users but never the less there are a lot of products out there that say septic safe that really are not. ( My guess is that this septic system and its settling tank are in the 20 year old range and septic systems being used by multi unit rental property in itself is like a recipe for disaster because so many people really do treat septic systems as if they were city sewer and flush every thing they shouldn't and that includes renters and new homeowners who have never grown up with septic systems or had anyone in family who did that could have coached them on what not to do) Another question I have is was the structure built to be a multi unit or was it converted to one? reason being that if it was converted into multi unit after it was built then the system itself may not be sufficient !

FarmerJ

BTW did neighbors pay it ? send your next letter via certified mail on real paper since you really need a actual paper trail NOT EMAIL and in the letter remind them that you did not cause this clog and they should remove this charge and if they don't you wont have any choice but to permit them to prove them to a court that you did because that's what they are going to have to do if they take you to court for non payment then you can show a judge the letters and tell the judge how many apartments / units are connected to this system. If they attempt to take it from your deposit they again would have to be able to prove it. Don't be shocked if they wont renew with you either. ( keep copies for your records and staple your certified receipt to one copy because you really need a provable paper trail on this! )

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">