• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord trying to force us out

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sammimom

I live in TN and my landlord told us that since we didn't have the rest of the rent money today that we have to be out on friday which is only 2 days away. Is this something they can legally do? I assumed that I had to be served an eviction notice before I had to leave. Any help on this matter would be appreciated.

Proserpina

I live in TN and my landlord told us that since we didn't have the rest of the rent money today that we have to be out on friday which is only 2 days away. Is this something they can legally do? I assumed that I had to be served an eviction notice before I had to leave. Any help on this matter would be appreciated.

Nope.

You must be evicted legally, and only a court can do that. Your landlord must follow the laws of TN.

Searchertwin

Your LL just gave you notice to pay or quit. If you don't pay, than she will start the process of eviction. This will mean she will go start paperwork with the courts to have you removed. This means you can still stay in the house and the sheriff will remove you if it comes down to that. If this comes to court, you will have a hard time in the future to rent. Not one LL will rent to you if they see an eviction on record.

Who's Liable?

Your LL just gave you notice to pay or quit. If you don't pay, than she will start the process of eviction. This will mean she will go start paperwork with the courts to have you removed. This means you can still stay in the house and the sheriff will remove you if it comes down to that.
Correct

If this comes to court, you will have a hard time in the future to rent.
Correct

Not one LL will rent to you if they see an eviction on record.
Incorrect. MANY landlords rent to people who have been evicted. While YOU personally may never do it, don't answer for the thousands of other LL's out there who do.

HomeGuru

Wrong again. Verbal notice is not valid in TN.
**A: for clarification purposes, verbal notice is legal but unenforceable.
In other words, landlord can verbally tell the tenant to pay or move out.
And verbal notice basically means nothing since written notice to pay or quit is required by law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">