• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

landlord is trying to sue me for the place i never lived

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chemie

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ny
i signed a contract for an apartment via email without seeing the place first. i know it is dumb, but i was overseas and desperately needed a place. when i arrived here, i saw that the place was really bad, and the previous tenant hadn't even moved out. i changed my mind and rented another place. i didn't even move in. then 3 months later, the landlord contacted me asking money and threatening me to sue. Do they have a case? could anyone please help. Thanks

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
They may have a case. You should take all of your information to a local attorney for review.

FarmerJ

So if the other tenant had not moved out just for the heck of it did you take pics to show what a mess the place was in ? You have a choice , you could consider bluffing the LL by suggesting that you took pics of the tenants things in the unit and the mess and ask the LL would they like to explain to the court why the other tenants things were all over the place on the day you were supposed to move in? and why the apartment was not cleaned and empty since it sure looked like tenant had not vacated to you ? You can tell the LL this kind of bluff but be aware it could backfire on you meaning that if the LL goes to court any way and you didnt take pics on your move in day how are you gonna prove to the court it was a pig sty ? at the worst here its entirely possible that this LL could win one months rent from you in small claims court. BUT on a serious note never ever do this sort of thing again , if you have to stay at a Y if a local one has rooms or rent a furnished room/ studio week by week while you look in person at places in the future.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">