• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord used my information without my permission

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lmmena21

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California.

I became aware that my ex-landlord took my information and did a background check on me through his work program, he is a collections agent, he also looked up my familes names and our past residences. all without my permission. is he allowed to do that?

Banned_Princess

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California.

I became aware that my ex-landlord took my information and did a background check on me through his work program, he is a collections agent, he also looked up my familes names and our past residences. all without my permission. is he allowed to do that?
Can you prove that he did?

What did he do with the info he came up with?

Some things are public information you know...

lmmena21

landlord used my information without my permission

Can you prove that he did?

What did he do with the info he came up with?

Some things are public information you know...
yes he showed me himself what he came up with. hi do not know what he is doing with the information, and the information he has is not public. he used his work program to look things up like my families name, my social security number as well as my moms, sister,and dads social security number, and dates of when those social securites were ran.

atomizer

If you gave consent to a background check, yes he can. The Question I have would be on the timeline regarding you tenancy and the background check. Now if he used public records checks, he does not need permission. Anyone can key in someones name in a county website and find information on someone.

lmmena21

If you gave consent to a background check, yes he can. The Question I have would be on the timeline regarding you tenancy and the background check. Now if he used public records checks, he does not need permission. Anyone can key in someones name in a county website and find information on someone.
i gave no written or verbal consent for him to use my information.
i had been a tenant for 2 months and gave notice that i was leaving because i felt my privacy was intruded by him

FarmerJ

Even with out consent LLs for a very long time have been able to do things like search county court house records to see if applicant tenants had ever been taken to court by former LLs for unpaid rents or to do criminal background and with membership to one of the many data firms out there even more information can be learned. Your best bet is to speak to a atty to get more information on your states laws regulating how the information is used.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">