• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord wants another set of keys

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

n00bie

What is the name of your state? CA

When I first moved in 15 months ago, I changed all the locks and provided the landlord with a copy of the keys. His property was up for auction on 3/14 but he was able to get an extension to the auction to try to sell the property or refinance.

He has asked if he can show the place but he does not give me adequate notice. He calls me 30 min prior to the real estate agent arriving on a weekday! As if I don't have to work. :mad:

1. He has asked for another copy of the keys. Do I have to give him another set? I asked him where the originals went and he said he didn't have them. Should I charge him to get my locks changed again?

I'm really worried that if I give him a copy of the keys, he will just let himself in without notice or give a copy to the real estate agent. I'm concerned about my dogs and if anything happens to them or the landlord. I know I am liable if my dogs do anything to visitors. :(

2. If he does come by without notifying me in advance, what are my rights? Can I call the cops?

Thanks for all advice in advance. I really appreciate all the help.

FarmerJ

Your LL is entitled to show the unit to prospective buyers via realtor , YOU are entitled to reasonable notice of any NON emergency entry , In your states landlord and tenant links via state govt web page is where you want to look to see if it is defined , If it is not defined in most places 12 to 24 hours is considered reasonable notice for a non emergency entry. If your LL does not have keys it would be simpler to just give him /her a key and be done with it , other wise you can expect that they will change the locks and make you pay for it. NOW if a realtor shows up with out giving reasonable notice and pushes way in , dont hesitate to call the police and tell them you have a intruder. Not all BUT some realtors are real pushy that way because they want the sale and EVEN if they play ignorant there is no excuse for them to not know the law and give reasonable notice. YOU could even post your door `ATTENTION trained security dogs reside here , If you enter with out having given reasonable notice you enter at you enter at your own risk` BTW if you refuse access with reasonable notice you can expect your LL to use it to attempt to evict you.

Cvillecpm

Your landlord should have met Realtor AND locksmith at the property at time of the notice and had locksmith make a copy of the keys...by your NOT providing the keys and being uncooperative, you probably need to start looking for another rental home ASAP.

If you changed the locks WITHOUT PERMISSION, you violated your lease by making an unauthorized alteration...

TinkerBelleLuvr

I changed all the locks and provided the landlord with a copy of the keys.
The renter did his part 15 months earlier. Now, if the LL wants keys again, he should be responsible for the cost.

What does you lease say about notice that the LL must give to renter? Generally, it is 24 hours if non-emergency. Showing the house is NOT an emergency. Personally, if I was the LL, I wouldn't want the responsibility of showing a house that had dogs around without their owner.

n00bie

I changed the locks because the landlord asked me too. His previous tenants were arrested and he worried about my safety.

My lease says that he can't come in unless it's an emergency. He didn't tell me he was going to show the property until Wednesday (3/26). I'm okay with him showing the place. I just want to know with more notice than 30 minutes so I could come over and take care of the dogs. My landlord is terrified of my labrador!

How clean does the property need to be?
I'm still figuring out where to put things. I moved from a 4000sqft home into a 1000 sqft condo. :(
I.E. I have so many clothes that it doesn't fit in the closest so I have them folded in boxes, hampers, etc. . . or my lab sheds a lot - I vacuum every week but I would have to do it more often if he's showing the property .

Thanks again for everyone's help!

ecmst12

I agree, he wants another set of keys, he should pay for them. You do not have to allow access if he does not give proper notice. You definitely do NOT want him coming in if your dogs are running loose and could see him as a threat! And you don't have to do any special cleaning.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">