• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord wants me to replace carpet BEFORE I move out in 3 months

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

legaia

What is the name of your state? IA

Hi, I have 1 dog and the landlord is complaining of urine even though it does not smell like urine, the apartment may smell like dog, but not urine. The thing is, the landlord wants me to replace the carpet now, 3 months before i move out, because "no future renters would want an apartment that smells like urine." Having them replace the carpeting now would be a huge time commitment and having to move around my furniture. Also, the apartment is still going to smell like dog if I replace the carpeting. They are also threatening to sue me for loss rent if the apartment doesn't get leased next year. My question is this: can they force us to replace the carpet now, b/c it would be smarter to replace it when I leave. Can they sue me for loss of rent? don't they have to prove that the renters didn't rent the apartment b/c of the smell in the legal system?

Please help, I have to respond to the landlord soon before he files suit.

ecmst12

You are not responsible for any rent beyond your move out day, as long as your lease is up and you gave the proper notice. It is not your problem whether the LL finds a new tenant or not. You are also not responsible for the full cost to replace the carpet but only the depreciated value of the carpet.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">