• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord wants to move back in, lease has ended, tenants don't want to move

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

andetw

My house is in DC. I rented my house out for a while but notified my tenants 90 days before the lease was about to expire that I'd like to move back in and would not be renewing the lease.

The lease expires tomorrow and they show no signs of moving. The lease on the apartment I live in expires in a few days, after which I'll have no where to live. What can I do legally?

FarmerJ

Rent a self storage unit and begin to take things to it NOW so you have less to move when you do finish moving out of current unit and plan on staying somewhere else even if it means looking for a old fashioned furnished apt where LL will allow you to rent week by week or just for a month and if you dont know how to file for eviction based on tenant refusal to vacate after proper notice is given then use the links above and arrange for a atty to atleast prepare for you the filing. yes it would cost BUT at the same time the filiing would be correctly done so it wont be rejected by court system for errors. Let it go to court, show up , BTW tenant might ask for the maximum possible days to get out but you sure dont have to agree , they have had 90 days to arrange for a place to live. the clerk of the court may be able to tell you what you would have to do if they refuse to leave even after court or have a pamphlet explaining it all . Hopefully tenant is just planing on doing it all over a one or two day time , if they arent and there is a court filing you have to do for eviction the filing alone in some places creates a public info trail and other LLs will be able to use it in the future to refuse to rent to them reducing what might be available to them down to poor qaulity housing or lousy hoods.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">