• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord wants to raise rent, I want to move out.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mcj2010

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

Hi everyone,

My landlord recently notified me that he wishes to raise the rent. He's given me one month's notice. He will be raising the rent in March. I advised him that I wish to move out, vacating the apartment by the end of February.

I am not currently under lease with the landlord. I originally had a lease for the first year that I lived here, but that expired over two years ago. Since then I have made monthly payments. My understanding is that I have a periodic tenancy, and the presumption is a monthly period. If that is so, am I ok to give only a month's a notice?

The previous lease indicated I was to give 60 days notice, but as he has only given me a month's notice before raising the rent am I not entitled to give him only a month's notice before vacating?

Thanks for your help!

BL

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

Hi everyone,

My landlord recently notified me that he wishes to raise the rent. He's given me one month's notice. He will be raising the rent in March. I advised him that I wish to move out, vacating the apartment by the end of February.

I am not currently under lease with the landlord. I originally had a lease for the first year that I lived here, but that expired over two years ago. Since then I have made monthly payments. My understanding is that I have a periodic tenancy, and the presumption is a monthly period. If that is so, am I ok to give only a month's a notice?

The previous lease indicated I was to give 60 days notice, but as he has only given me a month's notice before raising the rent am I not entitled to give him only a month's notice before vacating?

Thanks for your help!
You should have received the notice before your rent due date giving you time to reject the increase and vacate by written notice .

One full month .

It's Feb . 3rd already .

So what date did you receive notice ?

You have to let the LL know so he can attempt to re-rent .

Failure to reply in a timely manner could cost you the increase for one more month with you then giving proper notice to vacate .

That would be up to the LL.

mcj2010

The letter he gave me was dated Jan. 13, but I did not recieve it till Jan. 28. I gave him notice Jan. 29 I would be moving out.

xylene

The letter he gave me was dated Jan. 13, but I did not recieve it till Jan. 28. I gave him notice Jan. 29 I would be moving out.
Neither you, nor the landlord, have done anything wrong.

You have given sufficient notice to move out at the end of Feb without penalty.

You are correct, whatever your expired lease said (60 days) is no longer relevant, but that is because your lease is expired not because of the notice to raise rent.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">