• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

landlord will not accept late rent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mikal

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? louisiana

I am behind my rent for june...I have informed my landlord that i have lost my job. I contacted a charitable place for assistance and they scheduled the
appointment after the landlord has filed for eviction with court. I now have the rental assistance money but the landlord doesnt want to accept my rent. I also have my money now for july from family and now have 2 part time jobs to start back paying my rent on time. what options do i have??

sandyclaus

I am behind my rent for june...I have informed my landlord that i have lost my job. I contacted a charitable place for assistance and they scheduled the
appointment after the landlord has filed for eviction with court. I now have the rental assistance money but the landlord doesnt want to accept my rent. I also have my money now for july from family and now have 2 part time jobs to start back paying my rent on time. what options do i have??
Your unemployment and financial difficulties are not the LL's problem. When you fail to pay your rent, their bills don't get paid either.

From what I know about charitable rent assistance, they only give you a lump sum to help you catch up. There's no guarantee that once you have done so that you will remain in good standing and continue paying your rent in full and on time.

The biggest problem is that you did not seek rental assistance BEFORE the LL filed for eviction through the courts. Once that happened, he CANNOT accept any partial rent payments or he faces having to stop the entire eviction process and starting all over again.

My suggestion is to use the money you have now to find a new place to live with it. Chances are very good that eviction would be granted (if it is based solely on your failure to pay your rent), and once that happens, you will have an eviction on your record to make it even MORE difficult to find a new place.

mikal

I understand its not my landlords problem and i did tell my landlord before she filed eviction...I have paid on time before this has happened..thanks for your comment

mikal

I contacted the rental assistance before the LL filed eviction but the appointment was scheduled after the LL filed.

Proserpina

I contacted the rental assistance before the LL filed eviction but the appointment was scheduled after the LL filed.

It doesn't change sandyclaus's response.

(Except with some agencies - and OP didn't clarify whether this was State, county or independently funded assistance - the money goes to the creditor landlord regardless, and cannot be used towards a new place)

Last edited:

applecruncher

now have the rental assistance money but the landlord doesnt want to accept my rent.
Usually, organizations that help with rental assistance make the check payable to the landlord. I find it strange that you have the money. I don’t know what your relationship has been, but if the landlord won’t accept the late rent there’s nothing you can do. LL wants to start over and get another tenant.

It’s best for you to move to another place (maybe rent a room, or move in with friend or relative until your financial situation is more secure). Getting money from family for July rent shows you are struggling. But you can’t use the money from a charitable organization – it was earmarked to help you stay in your current place. It has to be returned.

Antigone*

The landlord does not have to accept your late rent. He/She has chosen to evict you. Your option is to make new living arrangements.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">