• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord won't accept personal check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

disgruntledinVA

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? VA
I have just found out that our apartment manager won't accept personal checks for rent from any tenant. Is it legal for them to not accept personal checks? It says in our lease that if the rent is over 5 days late, then we have to pay with a money order or cashiers check, which is understandable. It doesn’t say that personal checks are not accepted and I have lived here since September and have had no problems paying with a check. I have never bounced a check in my life and have always paid my rent on time. When I called to find out why we had to pay by money order or cashiers check, I was told that they were having problems with bounced checks in our complex and it was costing them too much money to collect money from tenants, so they will no longer accept personal checks. I think it’s unfair that everyone has to suffer for the mistakes of a few tenants. It is such an inconvenience to have to go to the bank, withdraw rent money, go to the convenience store to buy a money order, then go to the rental office to pay the rent. There is also a sign posted saying that any checks placed in the rent drop box wil be considered late and subject to late fees! Please tell me there is something I can do.

HomeGuru

disgruntledinVA said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? VA
I have just found out that our apartment manager won't accept personal checks for rent from any tenant. Is it legal for them to not accept personal checks? It says in our lease that if the rent is over 5 days late, then we have to pay with a money order or cashiers check, which is understandable. It doesn’t say that personal checks are not accepted and I have lived here since September and have had no problems paying with a check. I have never bounced a check in my life and have always paid my rent on time. When I called to find out why we had to pay by money order or cashiers check, I was told that they were having problems with bounced checks in our complex and it was costing them too much money to collect money from tenants, so they will no longer accept personal checks. I think it’s unfair that everyone has to suffer for the mistakes of a few tenants. It is such an inconvenience to have to go to the bank, withdraw rent money, go to the convenience store to buy a money order, then go to the rental office to pay the rent. There is also a sign posted saying that any checks placed in the rent drop box wil be considered late and subject to late fees! Please tell me there is something I can do.
**A: there is no law requiring a landlord to accept personal checks.
Here is what you can do; pay in cash, cashier's check or money order.

ENASNI

Well

HomeGuru said:
**A: there is no law requiring a landlord to accept personal checks.
Here is what you can do; pay in cash, cashier's check or money order.
It sure doesn't sound fair though.
Get a receipt each and every time you pay though, as you do not have your cancelled checks as proof any longer.

Who's Liable?

Adn make sure you get a receipt!!! Remember, it is up to you to prove that you paid rent if the LL should "lose" your payment... Just read my sig. below...

ENASNI

Hey Who

Who's Liable? said:
Adn make sure you get a receipt!!! Remember, it is up to you to prove that you paid rent if the LL should "lose" your payment... Just read my sig. below...
This time I beat you to it.
First its HomeGuru.. then its me...
Gee...
Big lunch?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">