• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord won't fix hot water heater.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vmbmslm

I live in California and the pilot light on the water heater for my apartment goes out every hour or so. I informed my landlord and he said he would take care of it. This was a month ago. Sometimes I am able to relight the pilot light, but other times it just doesn't work. Every time I call the landlord about the problem, he says that he's waiting for a part to be delivered. I simply cannot believe that this should have taken as long as it has, and since we have encountered other untruths from the landlord, I am led to believe that this issue is not going to be resolved anytime soon. What I want to know is if this is enough for me to break my lease, because this is just the latest thing in a long list of problems we have had with this building and this landlord.

Thanks,
Vincent

BL

I live in California and the pilot light on the water heater for my apartment goes out every hour or so. I informed my landlord and he said he would take care of it. This was a month ago. Sometimes I am able to relight the pilot light, but other times it just doesn't work. Every time I call the landlord about the problem, he says that he's waiting for a part to be delivered. I simply cannot believe that this should have taken as long as it has, and since we have encountered other untruths from the landlord, I am led to believe that this issue is not going to be resolved anytime soon. What I want to know is if this is enough for me to break my lease, because this is just the latest thing in a long list of problems we have had with this building and this landlord.

Thanks,
Vincent
Not unless you notify the LL in writing ( proof of receipt or that you sent the request ).

After written request give a few days , the call code inspections .

If he still won't fix it and you absolutely can not get the heater to work , you can claim " constructive eviction " as the reason you moved .

You must have proof it will not work and the LL refuses to fix it .

IE: written request and code enforcement report .

Again you must allow reasonable time ,which you have ( but still are able to get some hot water ) , but you must have proof by following the above .

And of course there is always repair and deduct after following the above .

Last edited:

FarmerJ

Vince if you have a regular old fashion pilot light then your hot water heater has a thermal coupling that can be bought in any hardware store. When you write your LL the letter your going to send tell him/her that. Thermal couples are not hard to change BUT since this is rental I would not advise you to do it since you do not want to be responsible for any error in installing it ( gas leak). Make sure you send your complaint either in certified mail or confirmed mail delivery.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">