• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord wont give me back my $400 deposit!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eddy6705

Eddie, Long Beach, CA

So i was desperately looking for a place to stay and my dad told me his friend at work has a 1 bedroom small backhouse behind his house which he owns. I went there and did not like it, was too small. He wanted first months rent $680 + $400 deposit to move in. I did not want to do that so then he told my dad he would only charge me a deposit of $400 to move in, and he insisted I paid that to secure the apartment. So I did but I told him I would not have the money until the 20th of October which is today. He said fine and took the postdated check and made copies of it, and provided me a reciept. I then experienced some personal family issues and then decided to move in with my parents instead. Today I look at my account and he had deposited the $400 the same day on the 13th which I wrote it. I incurred over $175 of overdraft fees because of it, and I called my dad and he talked to him. He is saying that although he knew the check wasn't supposed to be cashed right away that his wife cashed it anyway through her bank. He told my dad that he is losing money by me not moving in, when before my dad had told me noone else wanted to move in which is why he asked me. He told my dad he will only give me $200 back and that he will not pay me my full deposit back $400 or any overdraft charges I was charged. My question is if he knew not to deposit the check until the 20th and did it anyway, and refuses to return my deposit of $400 which I never even moved into the house, can I take him to small claims court and ask for my lost money. I have the contract, and reciepts here with me. Please Let me know what I can do this is over $600 i've lost to this crook. :mad:

eddy6705

unfortunately yes, but only because he kept pressuring me to secure the apartment that nobody wanted. I know I might not get my overdraft fees because it is illegal (i now know) to postdate checks and my bank already said they won't do anything. But he knew it was to be cashed on the 20th today

eddy6705

I just talked to someone who had the same issue as me, and tennant did not want to give back deposit. Took it to court and he won the deposit plus bank fees and court cost. ILL GO WITH EXPERIENCE RATHER THAN YOUR OPINIONS THANKS ANYWAYS THOUGH

You can take him to small claims court but you will most likely lose. Here is why:
Did he put a gun to your head to write the check? No? Well then you verbally entered into a month to month lease agreement. YOU postdated the check and therefore run the risk of him cashing it. Sueing him for this is as absurd as sueing the bank for accepting it and giving him the money. Therefore, you eat the overdraft fees. Since you agree to rent you are on the hook for 1 months rent. That means you technically owe him $650 - $400(deposit). The only way out is if he re-rented the unit and the persons moved in on the day you would have thus he wouldn't have suffer any loss of rent. Otherwise make wiser decisions regardless if you feel pressured.
He is being very kind by offering you any money. Thank him and don't act like a spoiled brat.

Banned_Princess

I just talked to someone who had the same issue as me, and tennant did not want to give back deposit. Took it to court and he won the deposit plus bank fees and court cost. ILL GO WITH EXPERIENCE RATHER THAN YOUR OPINIONS THANKS ANYWAYS THOUGH
How did the tenant even have to give back the deposit?

I doubt you will win, because with you giving him that check you entered a contract with him, and not moving in and demanding the money back is the same as breaking a 30 day lease.* (Is my interpretation) And therefor LL is owed money for the transaction that didn't occur, but fell through, under no fault of his own. Plus you held the rental up in this agreement, he is owed money.

You cannot post date a check and expect everybody is even going to notice it. once you gave the check you paid the deposit. you entered an agreement and he had authorization to cash it. and therefore he did. If you didn't want to pay him, grow some nutz and say you aren't leaving a check, feel free to try to rent it out before I get the money next week.

you didn't even want the place, you should have not entered into an agreement to rent it.

We are all experienced THANK YOU.

eddy6705

wow, what a mature thread this is, I come for advice and we have low lifes like Banned_Princess on here. I've already talked to the guy and threatened him with legal action I'm getting my $400 back and I guess i grew nuts after all. Banned Princess please just shut your mouth next time nothing you said was useful at all.

Baranov

Unfortunately, we will never know the outcome. But most landlords would not have returned the security deposit. If a lease was signed, you would find yourself on the other side of a lawsuit for breaking a one year lease.

If what you say is true, hopefully the next landlord you try this on will teach you a lesson.

And people wonder why some landlords don't take deposit. Seems like tenants don't know the purpose of a deposit. Note: Your personal problems have nothing to do with your deposit. It is not the LL's fault you live a life of chaos.

eddy6705

live a life of chaos.? are you assuming this? you seem to be just an internet tough guy here, but we all know you would never say this to someones face. and you hope the next land lord teaches me a lesson? i hope someone teaches you a lesson in life. only thing I REGRET, is coming to this site and listening to you senior members. If I simply would have listened to you and just moved on I wouldn't have got my money back.

And what a mature person you are... you make a poor decision then whine and threaten till you get your way. You need to take responsibility for your actions.

Gail in Georgia

Was this described as a "holding deposit" to take the rental unit off the market....or a security deposit?

It often makes a difference if one goes to court over the matter. A "holding deposit" is typically lost if the tenant changes their mind on renting the unit.

From the original posting the description of "I paid that to secure the apartment" would imply that this was a holding deposit.

Gail

Isis1

look, op. you need to start learning how to be a grown up. and maybe this is a personal issue with you, but don't do anything you don't REALLY want to do. stop appeasing people. you tried appeasing your dad, you tried appeasing his friend. stop it.

all it did was get you into a hot mess you didn't want to be in.

eddy6705

isabella, now you write back? you clearly didn't pay attention to what I had originally wrote or else you wouldn't have asked if the check was postdated.. I'm sorry if im not a pushover and will just let someone take my hard earned money, but your advice to just go away quietly isn't how I approach life. I told the guy I would take him to court, and he gave me the money back, Sorry if it doesn't work out for you guys, but still doesn't change how dumb people actually are on here.

Isis1

isabella, now you write back?
omg! i am so sorry for walking away to feed, and play with my children! and i walked to the bathroom! oh goodness how dare i!! :rolleyes:

you clearly didn't pay attention to what I had originally wrote or else you wouldn't have asked if the check was postdated.. I'm sorry if im not a pushover and will just let someone take my hard earned money, but your advice to just go away quietly isn't how I approach life.
i didn't advise you to be a push over nor did i advise you to go away quietly. YOU got yourself into this mess by appeasing someone. stop doing that. it's going to get you into a bigger mess.

I told the guy I would take him to court, and he gave me the money back, Sorry if it doesn't work out for you guys, but still doesn't change how dumb people actually are on here.
okay, but that's not what REAL landlords do. he got scared, and caved. legally, he didn't have to. you can't count on that in life. not everyone you encounter will be as unknowlegable. if anything, walk away with knowing your rights as a tenant. don't count on being able to bully everyone.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">