• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord Won't Make Repairs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lhea21

I live in Garland, TX... I have a landlord that will not fix the repairs that are needed to maintain the house. My lease expired a couple of months ago and we have been going month to month. Last month, I paid a plumber $250.00 to fix the bathroom and took it off the rent. My landlord is very upset with me and says if he is not going to get all the rent, I will need to move. I have called Code Compliance for my area and the landlord is not registered to rent his house. He has 16 major violations against him. Including a non working heater for over a month now. I need to know my options. Do I have to pay rent in Feb since he won't fix anything? Can he legally evict me if I don't? How do I get the repairs fixed? Since my lease is up, does he have to go through the courts to evict me or am I obligated to leave when he asks? Can I continue making repairs myself and taking it off the rent without eviction?What is the name of your state?

FarmerJ

You need to have your city inspections dept out to look at your concerns. If the inspector finds things that need to be corrected the LL will have to do so or risk the fines or condemnation. If your LL fails to comply and unit becomes condemned you will no longer owe any rent but will have to move. If needed you may have to sue the LL in small claims court to be awarded return of rent moneys based on the property being condemned. STOP paying for repairs if the city orders repairs and he /she refuses let them deal with any consequences from the city.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">