• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord won't provide mailbox key

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MSUdom5

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MS

I moved into my apartment two weeks ago. I was given a set of keys, two of which were supposed to open my mailbox. The keys didn't work, and when I reported this to the landlord, he didn't believe me and said that unless the previous tenants were getting mail somewhere else, those keys had to work. So I tried them again, thinking maybe they needed some extra jiggling. No luck. I decided to try them in the other 8 mailboxes for my building. To my surprise, they worked for the mailbox for unit #2, but I'm in #7. Hmm...

I contacted my landlord with this new information, and still, he refused to believe me. He said he'd have to try the keys for himself. I brought him the keys, and a few days later, he contacted me. He said he tried the keys, and they didn't work. (Surprise!) However, he was now convinced that I still had keys in my possession I hadn't given him to try. By this time, I had been in my apartment for a week. There was time sensitive mail in my mailbox that I needed to get to, and I was unable to convince him that they gave me the wrong mailbox keys.

Today I was finished being nice. I told him I needed a key by the end of the day, "or we're going to have a big problem". He shot back an email which said he hired a locksmith to rip out the old locks for mailbox #7, and it was going to cost $125 to replace the lock. He concluded by saying, "That money will have to come from somewhere", which I guess was hinting that he would take it out of my security deposit.

After reading his email, I decided to take this matter to the post office. They were extremely nice, and said all I needed to do was bring a copy of my lease and ID, and they'd replace the locks for $10. Wish I had known that 2 weeks ago. I called the landlord back and told him I took care of it. He chewed me out, saying they had been addressing the issue, and still accusing me of lying about having keys.

My questions: 1) The mailboxes are federal property, right? Can the landlord legally hire a locksmith to change the locks? 2) I had to take care of this myself. Do I have the right to demand reimbursement? Granted, it's only $10, but they should have taken care of this, right?

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">