• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord won't repair my heat

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JOAT

What is the name of your state? south carolina

ihave been renting over 7 years with my landlord now. i took over the home when my rooma mate moved out 2 years ago.it was agreeable with the landlord. however there was no lease.last winter the a/c heat unit broke. he supplied me with a small one room portable electric heater and said it should heat the entire hoe (3 bedroom bath and a half 1970 something mobile home). however it was close to end of winter so i did not use it. now this winter he says he refuses to fix the unit . he would supply me with a kerosene heater and the small electric one i have.i refused.i told him i wanted my unit fixed. he said that its either portable or my problem.and i would have to figure out what to do. so what should i do?i should have adequate heat being i rented it with the a/c heat unit right??

HomeGuru

JOAT said:
What is the name of your state? south carolina

ihave been renting over 7 years with my landlord now. i took over the home when my rooma mate moved out 2 years ago.it was agreeable with the landlord. however there was no lease.last winter the a/c heat unit broke. he supplied me with a small one room portable electric heater and said it should heat the entire hoe (3 bedroom bath and a half 1970 something mobile home). however it was close to end of winter so i did not use it. now this winter he says he refuses to fix the unit . he would supply me with a kerosene heater and the small electric one i have.i refused.i told him i wanted my unit fixed. he said that its either portable or my problem.and i would have to figure out what to do. so what should i do?i should have adequate heat being i rented it with the a/c heat unit right??
**A: and what does your L/T law state with respect to your remedies? If you have specific questions after reading the SC law, please post them.

J

JOAT

adequate heat

fire hazard laws state that i am in danger using this portable heaters. l/t states that the landlord is to repair these issues.

HomeGuru

Re: adequate heat

JOAT said:
fire hazard laws state that i am in danger using this portable heaters. l/t states that the landlord is to repair these issues.
**A: ok, that's a good start. Now if the law states that L is to repair, what does the law say must be done to force L to take positive action?

J

JOAT

law states:

the law states that i am suppose to send a certified letter to L giving him 14 days to repair the problem. or however after the 14 days i can hire someone to repair it deducting the expenses out of the rent providing i have receipts of job performed.

HomeGuru

Re: law states:

JOAT said:
the law states that i am suppose to send a certified letter to L giving him 14 days to repair the problem. or however after the 14 days i can hire someone to repair it deducting the expenses out of the rent providing i have receipts of job performed.
**A: very good. So please tell us when exactly did you send L the crrr letter?

J

JOAT

wont accept attachment

browse files for attachments won't allow me to send letter to post.

HomeGuru

Re: wont accept attachment

JOAT said:
browse files for attachments won't allow me to send letter to post.
**A: I did not request that you post the letter. Read my post again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">