• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord won't repair rental/ instead tells me to find a new place to live

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Searchertwin

When I give an opinion to an OP, and they don't want to hear the truth, they always say they will come back and tell me what happen in court. I have yet to this day seen anyone come back. Guess they lost. Who would have guessed?;)

Isis, I can't wait 6 years! I won't be able to sleep.;)

mauee20

Fast forward to Oct. of 2010 I found the home had over 10 square feet of mold in 3 separate rooms. This is due to a flood in the home, caused by the LL shutting off the heat in the winter of 2007 and not draining the pipes, before I moved in. The first time I looked at the home they were supposedly fixing it.

Did you know that you can go to Walmart and buy a gallon of bleach for about a $1.50? You can also buy a sprayer bottle, put some bleach in it and dilute with water. Spray that mold you see and you will kill all the mold.

Did you know that if there really is mold behind a wall or covered up with something that there is no way it's getting into the air you are breathing?

Just thought this might help you out. good luck.

Jessica2010

As an update... the home was condemned. Won the case for retaliatory eviction as well as didn't have to pay any further rent due to the place not fit for habitability.

I have a lawyer, who doesn't charge me a cent, taking this to court further to sue for damages due to illnesses I have sustained because of mold.

For all others out there with slumlords, be sure to read the laws of your state and push and push until you get an understanding lawyer who cares about you and YOUR civil rights.

Oh I will update when I win the mold case against him. I wouldn't be surprised if they settle! :D

Jessica2010

When I give an opinion to an OP, and they don't want to hear the truth, they always say they will come back and tell me what happen in court. I have yet to this day seen anyone come back. Guess they lost. Who would have guessed?;)

Isis, I can't wait 6 years! I won't be able to sleep.;)

See above post! :confused:

atomizer

If I had been your Ll, I would've had the rental red tagged myself just to get rid of you. The next step would have been to fix the leak and find a paying renter.You did an awful lot of speculating on the reason for the mold and what is owed to you. I also seriously doubt that you are being truthful in your above post.

Last edited:

Who's Liable?

As an update... the home was condemned. Won the case for retaliatory eviction as well as didn't have to pay any further rent due to the place not fit for habitability.

I have a lawyer, who doesn't charge me a cent, taking this to court further to sue for damages due to illnesses I have sustained because of mold.

For all others out there with slumlords, be sure to read the laws of your state and push and push until you get an understanding lawyer who cares about you and YOUR civil rights.

Oh I will update when I win the mold case against him. I wouldn't be surprised if they settle! :D
Congrats! Some of these LLs need to be taught a lesson.

Searchertwin

Here's some infor that might seem real interesting for you. Now report back again after you win this case also.

"There are no Federal laws that set limits or standards as to what types or levels of mold exposure or of mold presence is healthy or unhealthy, or as to what levels or types of mold are allowed or not allowed indoors.
*The Federal Government cannot "certify" any individual or firm claiming such designation of mold tester.
* Even after testing, the solution remains the same, "control the moisture, control the mold."
Mold will always be found in testing. It is everywhere and there will always be some level of mold."

First, a doctor cannot confirm that your "allergic sinusitis" in the ER, was caused by mold. Sorry, no money here.
I realize this post is old, but I have to ask: how on terra firma were you able to come to THAT conclusion?!

Physicians who specialize in infectious diseases, allergies, occupational health, and pulmonary diseases/disorders most certainly can confirm such a case. And any environmental lab can certainly test for the presence of mold, especially but not limited to "black mold" (aka Strachybotrys chartarum).

However, as the OP may have discovered, there is no established threshold as per toxicity.

atomizer

Maybe op can explain how she was able to get the building red tagged, fight an eviction , find a new apartment, move, and find a free lawyerto prepare her next case. All in under 22 days counting weekends.

atomizer

I realize this post is old, but I have to ask: how on terra firma were you able to come to THAT conclusion?!

Physicians who specialize in infectious diseases, allergies, occupational health, and pulmonary diseases/disorders most certainly can confirm such a case. And any environmental lab can certainly test for the presence of mold, especially but not limited to "black mold" (aka Strachybotrys chartarum).

However, as the OP may have discovered, there is no established threshold as per toxicity.
Searcher is correct. Er docs will not do allergy testing. They require special kits and are not normally stocked by the Ed. Docs will do a blood or bronchial culture and send it to the lab. Fungal cultures take weeks to months to identify. I dentification is based on culture morphology and growth characteristics.

Searcher is correct. Er docs will not do allergy testing. They require special kits and are not normally stocked by the Ed. Docs will do a blood or bronchial culture and send it to the lab.
ERs aren't equipped for MANY situations. Sending cultures out is common. Not an exception.

Which is why I referenced sending samples out to an environmental testing facility. However, an ER physician can certainly order such tests.

Fungal cultures take weeks to months to identify. I dentification is based on culture morphology and growth characteristics.
If done on the "cheap," yes. Current techniques and protocols? No. You can have a turnaround in as little as two days. The largest obstacle being getting said sample to the facility/lab quickly.

I know of no sample that can't be cultured in less than a week. If you do, and have a reliable cite, please provide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">