• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord won't repair rental/ instead tells me to find a new place to live

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Searchertwin

I realize this post is old, but I have to ask: how on terra firma were you able to come to THAT conclusion?!

Physicians who specialize in infectious diseases, allergies, occupational health, and pulmonary diseases/disorders most certainly can confirm such a case. And any environmental lab can certainly test for the presence of mold, especially but not limited to "black mold" (aka Strachybotrys chartarum).

However, as the OP may have discovered, there is no established threshold as per toxicity.
Yes, they can prove mold exist, but they won't say it was mold that caused her illness. Even you stated, "no established threshold as per toxicity". A little double talk here on your side. You said that they can prove mold caused the problem, and than say it is hard to establish the degree of toxicity to cause her problem.
And I doubt that it was black mold. They always cry mold caused their illness, you know that and I know that. Don't pacify them.

Here is a little tidbit from the Florida Health Dept.
Currently, there is no test to determine whether Stachybotrys growth found in buildings is producing toxins. There is also no blood or urine test that can tell if an individual has been exposed to Stachybotrys chartarum spores or its toxins.

Ok, as I stated and you will prove me right, you have to have the last word. Take care...

Last edited:

Searchertwin

Quite true. It's up to local and state health departments to do so. :rolleyes:

Why would you think the Federal government would concern itself with mold?
Common sense rules that it up to state and local health departments. But why play games with them on the mold issues. It is a lost cause. If they know the Federal Gov doesn't set limits or standards as to what types or levels of mold exposure or of mold presence is healthy or unhealthy," hopefully they will save themselves a lot of trouble trying to prove their point. I am only trying to help them save their money.
What are you trying to prove? That you have to be right and have the last say as you always seem to manage on here?:rolleyes:

Yes, they can prove mold exist, but they won't say it was mold that caused her illness.

Even you stated, "no established threshold as per toxicity". A little double talk here on your side. You said that they can prove mold caused the problem, and than say it is hard to establish the degree of toxicity to cause her problem.
False. I don't know if mold was indeed, her problem. But I do know they can diagnose complications arising from mold exposure. They CAN and they often DO.

As for "established toxicity" you are correct. To borrow a pseudo-legal term, one takes one's victim as they find them. What can utterly decimate one's systemic functions might only hinder another's. As Lewis Black often says, "we are all unique little snowflakes."

And I doubt that it was black mold. They always cry mold caused their illness, you know that and I know that. Don't pacify them.
No, I don't "know that." I have no experience with claims of mold exposure. Perhaps, if you do, you might want to change your habits ... or who you hire to perform contracting work.

Here is a little tidbit from the Florida Health Dept.
Currently, there is no test to determine whether Stachybotrys growth found in buildings is producing toxins. There is also no blood or urine test that can tell if an individual has been exposed to Stachybotrys chartarum spores or its toxins.
Florida (in so many ways ~ this is not an isolated case) is wrong. While there is no industry standard test at the moment (still pending approval from the FDA) there are SEVERAL tests to determine the creation of antigen/antibodies in the presence of SC/SA using sera. Urine? I would not know.

Florida, FTR, has quite the history of ignoring mold issues ~ especially in public buildings such as schools, government offices, etc. They were also one of the last states to understand the whole "asbestos is bad" equation. While most other states removed theirs from office buildings in the 80s, we have the dubious pleasure of only removing ours in the past 10 years.

So, do please tell me how seriously Florida takes health issues. If it does not impact tourism, we rarely care enough to stir ourselves.

Ok, as I stated and you will prove me right, you have to have the last word. Take care...
Yes, but must you make it so easy?! ;)

Common sense rules that it up to state and local health departments.
Um. Okay. If you understand that concept, why on terra firma did you mention FEDERAL law?!

But why play games with them on the mold issues.
Play games with whom?!

If they know the Federal Gov doesn't set limits or standards as to what types or levels of mold exposure or of mold presence is healthy
Um. The Federal government, in the foreseeable future will not "set ANY limits" as to mold exposure.

Mold exposure is not the same as lead paint exposure nor asbestos exposure. Mold is not a product and cannot be banned. You do realize that, don't you?!

That would be the only role Federal law could have as regards to mold.

What are you trying to prove? That you have to be right and have the last say as you always seem to manage on here?:rolleyes:
*sigh* Of course. You can't simply be wrong, can you? It must be some sort of agenda or conspiracy. Absolutely. :rolleyes:

atomizer

ERs aren't equipped for MANY situations. Sending cultures out is common. Not an exception.

Which is why I referenced sending samples out to an environmental testing facility. However, an ER physician can certainly order such tests.

If done on the "cheap," yes. Current techniques and protocols? No. You can have a turnaround in as little as two days. The largest obstacle being getting said sample to the facility/lab quickly.

I know of no sample that can't be cultured in less than a week. If you do, and have a reliable cite, please provide.
You don't know what you're talking about. There's more to blood culturing than you realize. Routine and fungal cultures, have to be cultured 4 no less than 5 days. This is followed by a gram stain if any growth is seen. The organism is then sub cultured into the appropriate media. In the event that the organism is a fungi, then it may take up to 6 weeks to get proper growth and identification. Not all fungi grow at the same rate or need the same environmental conditions, depending on what grows, further sub plating may be necessary. This however does not mean that a prelim report cannot be sent to the physician and treatment cannot be started. Sorry for lecture but somebody had to do it.

You don't know what you're talking about. There's more to blood culturing than you realize. Routine and fungal cultures, have to be cultured 4 no less than 5 days. This is followed by a gram stain if any growth is seen. The organism is then sub cultured into the appropriate media. In the event that the organism is a fungi, then it may take up to 6 weeks to get proper growth and identification. Not all fungi grow at the same rate or need the same environmental conditions, depending on what grows, further sub plating may be necessary. This however does not mean that a prelim report cannot be sent to the physician and treatment cannot be started. Sorry for lecture but somebody had to do it.
DoD, who does quite a bit of biological sampling (and I worked for in my other field as a government contractor ~ Human Factors Engineering ~ my major was Psychology, but my minor is in HFE), disagrees. :)

Some of my past programs included: JSLIST, BMDS, JBTDS, JPBDS, JMDS ... the list goes on. Unless you have a TS clearance, any questions on such programs may or may not be answered in full.

Have fun making Google your compadre. :rolleyes:

Just because YOU might have "experience" with lesser technology does not mean that others do. While I don't believe the OP has/had access to the same level of technology that I did, it does exist. And your estimates on culturing growth are WRONG.

And yes, we DID use lesser forms of contaminants to test for ... shall we say, larger and nastier forms of contaminants. Molds included. :)

So, YOUR standards would fall under the category of "on the cheap."

Lecture over. I'm done with you, child.

Blocked and ignored. And rightfully so.

Edited to add: And DO feel FREE to blather on idiotically. Actually, I prefer that you do. Everyone needs a little entertainment now-and-again. And your sort of entertainment, as shows like "Jersey Shore" and "Jerry Springer" can attest, seems to be rather popular. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
You're quite welcome. Yes, bliss indeed. :D
Regretfully, as atomizer was vocalizing through his/her sizable sphincter, I had to respond. However, hopefully you can see that I am done.

Sometimes, it's a difficult lesson to learn that some people are simply fools and one not need suffer them. :(

Again, my thanks, Applecruncher. And now ... back to utter bliss. It's much nicer when one can't see the fools ~ makes it much easier to suffer them. :)

atomizer

DoD, who does quite a bit of biological sampling (and I worked for in my other field as a government contractor ~ Human Factors Engineering ~ my major was Psychology, but my minor is in HFE), disagrees. :)

Some of my past programs included: JSLIST, BMDS, JBTDS, JPBDS, JMDS ... the list goes on. Unless you have a TS clearance, any questions on such programs may or may not be answered in full.

Have fun making Google your compadre. :rolleyes:

Just because YOU might have "experience" with lesser technology does not mean that others do. While I don't believe the OP has/had access to the same level of technology that I did, it does exist. And your estimates on culturing growth are WRONG.

And yes, we DID use lesser forms of contaminants to test for ... shall we say, larger and nastier forms of contaminants. Molds included. :)

So, YOUR standards would fall under the category of "on the cheap."

Lecture over. I'm done with you, child.

Blocked and ignored. And rightfully so.

Edite!d to add: And DO feel FREE to blather on idiotically. Actually, I prefer that you do. Everyone needs a little entertainment now-and-again. And your sort of entertainment, as shows like "Jersey Shore" and "Jerry Springer" can attest, seems to be rather popular. :rolleyes:
I have 30 years in the field a ASCP certified technologist this
is my field. You on the other hand have no credentials.

I have 30 years in the field a ASCP certified technologist this
is my field. You on the other hand have no credentials.
Once more. Please Google: JSLIST, BMDS, JBTDS, JPBDS, JMDS ... the list goes on.

Please feel free to take up your issues with DoD's CBPD and the various program offices cited above.

If the DoD programs are out-pacing you, perhaps you should seek re-certification? Or perhaps not place so much emphasis on what you have. :rolleyes:

HAND. Plunk!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">