• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord won't return my deposit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jge

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Hello,

I rented a place in California (vacation rental).
I left the place around mid-december, and the owner hasn't retrun my security deposit.

I notified her several times about my bank account number (which is in France). She confirmed to me by text (or was it by email) that I left he place in perfect condition.

Now when I contact her she tells me that she won't return the deposit untill I write her a letter allowing her to keep money for : her bank fee to wire the money, and her time and gas in order to take care of this !!

How should i take care of this ?

Thank you in advance for your help,

tranquility

She doesn't have to wire you the money, she can mail it. If the deadline to return the deposit has passed, your only way to force here to return it is through the courts. Most probably California courts.

I'd offer her the money to wire and for gas. It will be easier and cheaper.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">