• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord wont return our calls to set up final walk through

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jenmar1024

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

My husband and I are having issues with our landlord. We rented from him for 5 years and have always paid rent on time, called him when there were major issues (i.e. ac unit stopped working) and allowed him access for inspections twice a year. We've had a great relationship with our landlord until the last few months. Whenever he came by for inspections (at lease renewal or termite) he always commented how nice it was decorated and how clean it was.

When we first moved in 5 years ago we moved in with 2 pets (a small dog and a bird) after only a month we lost the bird but we gave him pet deposits for both pets totaling $500 on top of the security deposit of what equalled the rent of $1050.

Two months ago we purchased our first home, we contacted our landlord and let him know that we were in the process of purchasing a home and that we would not be renewing our lease when it was up at the end of May.

In mid April he called us to see what was going on, when we told him we closed on the property and would be moving at the end of April he went on a rampage yelling at my husband over the phone and threatening to take us to court for breaking the lease. Our lease is set to expire on May 31st 2011, we told him we would be moved out April 30th 2011. That was the last time we talked to him.

He has since not returned a single phone we made to him and when we sent our written notice sent certified return receipt he lied about the date he signed for it by 2 days.

My husband and I have spent this past week cleaning up the house we were renting (it took a week because we moved 50 miles away and we have a daughter in school and the hubby had to work so time actually there was limited) and had the carpets cleaned. Since the carpets were cleaned we'v had issues with the smoke dectors going off, I called him to notify him of the issue 3 days ago and he has yet to return my call or go to the property. I know he was home the day I called him regarding the dectors because that happens to be the day he signed the notice we sent.

For over a week he has not returned any of our phone calls to set up a day and time to do the final walk through so we can return the keys. So yesterday we asked one of our neighbors to do a walk through with us. My husband video taped the entire house from top to bottum inside and out and had everyone present state thier name and the date and showed a newspaper with the date on tape.

In our opinion we have done everything we can to contact our landlord but since he refuses to meet with us we are not sure how to go about returning the keys and openers (garage) to him.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! :)

aabbcc

Landlord may refuse to do a walk through. Documenting the condition of the property via photos, videos, etc. is always a good idea.

The landlord is mad because you are breaking the lease. You owe rent through May 31 if that's the expiration shown in the lease agreement. Your post (unless I missed it) says nothing about paying May rent.

Jenmar1024

Landlord may refuse to do a walk through. Documenting the condition of the property via photos, videos, etc. is always a good idea.

The landlord is mad because you are breaking the lease. You owe rent through May 31 if that's the expiration shown in the lease agreement. Your post (unless I missed it) says nothing about paying May rent.
When we moved in and signed the initial lease our landlord told us that the security deposit was last months rent. I understand that he is upset but after 5 years of renting from him and having a good relationship up to just a couple of months ago my/ our issue is his lack of communication with us.

We just want to get this settled and start enjoying our first new home but since he refuses to meet with us we are still in possession of the keys.

How can we turn the keys over to him if he wont meet with us?

aabbcc

When we moved in and signed the initial lease our landlord told us that the security deposit was last months rent.
Does it state that in the lease agreement? If not, there could be a problem.

How can we turn the keys over to him if he wont meet with us?
It's difficult to force him to meet you if he doesn't want to. I suggest mailing the keys to him. Get proof of mailing, such as certified mail.
If you don't return the keys, he could argue that you are still in possession.

Last edited:

Jenmar1024

My main concern is getting the keys back to him returning possession of the property to the landlord.

I've made no less than 8 phone calls, leaving a voicemail message each time for him over the past 3 to 4 days. He has yet to return any of my calls or show up at the residence during the time periods I stated I would be there.

I'm wanting to know the best way of returning the keys to him (the landlord) when he is not physically present to hand them to him in person.

Thank You.

FarmerJ

Stop calling , certified mail instead. Including the keys. If LL refuses to pick up certified mail LL will have fun time explaining WHY in court no matter who initiates a civil claim.

Video & photo inside & out ... never know what the guy might say .. if you have the carpets cleaned, keep the receipts ..

Your security deposit is not your last months rent -- 5 years ago and you remember this?? But if you have no damage then he'll take the last Mo. rent out of it and send you an itemized deductions from your deposit.

Jenmar1024

Thank You all for your responses, you have been most helpful. :)

We did in fact take both photo and video of the entire house. We even asked our neighbors to walk through with us and showed a newspaper from the day.

As for remembering something that was said 5 years ago...lol, yes my husband has one of those freakish memories, he can remember things from when he was 2 years old (he is 40 now), it's crazy. :)

I will head to the Post Office first thing in the morning.

Thanks again for everyones advice. :)

Searchertwin

Thank You all for your responses, you have been most helpful. :)

We did in fact take both photo and video of the entire house. We even asked our neighbors to walk through with us and showed a newspaper from the day.

As for remembering something that was said 5 years ago...lol, yes my husband has one of those freakish memories, he can remember things from when he was 2 years old (he is 40 now), it's crazy. :)

I will head to the Post Office first thing in the morning.

Thanks again for everyones advice. :)
Remember to add in the letter that you video tape and had neighbors sign a paper stating there was no damage. Also let him know about the newspaper.

That may do it, but having neighbors sign it will not really have any weight. They could be really good friends and hate the LL. How is one to know?
But remember, pictures can't tell if a rug stinks or stool flushes right or drains run properly. They might at the time, but.....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">