• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

landlords

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

chandads

my s landlords are taking me to small claims court for damages that were done to their house. when we moved out we got a letter in the mail stating what damages had been done and the cost to fix them. then after we got the letter we got court papers stating that they were suing us for 3500.00 when the papers that we rec'd were only 1000.00. can the tenants change the amount of damages after the letter of 30 notice goes out to the tenant? also they did a final walk through 2 days before we were suppose to move out to tell us about damages that they found that needed to be fixed. aren't we suppose to receive a 7 day notice on this? we also had a dog and it stated no pets in the lease however there was a verbal communication stating that we could get the dog but there is a $350.00 pet deposit which we never paid. is this in our advantage or their's????
iowa

P

propman

First, if they did a walk through two days before you left, you had plenty of time! Secondly, if a lease says no pets, you should not have had a dog. The landlord owns the property, has to maintain his asset and pay the bills to operate that asset. It sounds to me that you took your landlord over the coals and are looking for an excuse to get out of the situation. YOU ARE AN EXAMPLE OF WHY NO ONE WANTS TO BE A LANDLORD.

D

dj1

DAWGS are destructive animals....and YOU are liable for any of the DAWGS damages...

Pissssing, Kraping, checwing the carpet, scracthing the doors, ALL are YOUR responsibiity.

SO the question is can they prove $3500 in actual damages, do they have reciepts from LICENSED BONDED professional companies doing the work...

DID you take any pictures to show a judge that the work was NOT necessary and you should not have to pay for it?

Isn't it FUN to have a DAWG!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">