• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlords lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

magi376

My girlfriend and my landlord were friends not close but friendly so when we needed a new place we leased a place from her. My girlfriend didn't tell landlord she/we have a small dog and the landlord hates dogs. Another tenent in this apartment building have pets(TWO dogs) but they were here before the landlord bought the building and she says are grandfathered in. She recently found out about our dog and is having a fit. All I did was sign the lease and when I finally went to read it the landlord goofed I guess and it says we CAN have pets. Now she is really upset once I pointed this out to her. We had a problem(landlord moved out of state) and we had to send check for rent to new address and it went to the wrong place and she never got it...her sister showed up immediately with a quit claim paper saying we had 5 days to pay or get out. I paid it but I would like to know if this happens again can she really force someone out within 5 days? How long does it normally take if you don't pay rent(there are other issues like she doesn't repair things that break) and am considering withholding rent until she does. The dog is just one of those little yippers...not loud enough to disturb nieghbors and is housebroken.This is Wisconsin. So how long does an eviction take and if sometime in the process can you pay the rent if it looks like you will lose and still keep apartment?

M

macckkk

You put a stop payment on the check that got lost ...Right?

After the 5 days they will have to start evcition i court, they will have to serve you the court papers, you ahve to answer and then get a court date, maybe 2-3 weeks and if you pay by the court date chances are you can stay if you HAVE A REAL LEASE.....And you better show up incourt with the reciept to show a judge!!!!

If you are month to month you have very very little rights....

Witholding the rent is a sure fire way to be evicted, U need to send a letter cetified return reciept with the problmes and asked they be fixed say within 7 days or if its things like heat or AC then you will call a repairman and deduct it from next months rent.

Dont withold rent UNLESS the place is so bad it needs to be condemmned!

Now the BAD NEWS......do not plan on getting a renewal lease...... or if you do it will NOT allow you to have pets....yes its legal to change the terms of a lease when it expires.

Last edited:

magi376

It is not that bad it is just she was so mean about the whole thing that the devil in me wanted to bug her a little to get her back.:D

FarmerJ

When you request repairs do so in writing keeping a copy for self and sending the letter by some means that gets you a confirmation of delivery . Like fed ex or registered return recpt mail If your repair request are ignored after a reasonable time frame call your city/county govt center and ask to speak with a housing inspector . Since you did bring the dog into the unit and if there is carpet I suggest you buy your own carpet cleaning machine . And use it every time rover tinkles on the carpet by accident . Or you may well face losing all of your deposit when you do move if there is any pet stains or STINK .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">