• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord's Legal RIghts Regarding Keys to Rental Property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who's Liable?

I have evidence of said abuse, and am pursuing the LL in small claims for legal damages I am entitled to.
Which is your right. However, YOU have to PROVE your point. LL in return has to PROVE their point in asserting you are in violation of not only your lease agreement but also of your states LL/T laws, which YOU have ALREADY ADMITTED to breaking.

And I can't see the logic in requiring me to provide ready access with my key for a lock that I installed to protect my right to privacy and protection from further abuses of that right by my unethical LL.
Which is why you are not a judge. Put shortly, you will lose. While you may not find a specific law or wording to assert your claim, it is VERY clear, and spelled out, in your states LL/T laws that you MUST provide a key or face eviction.

On top of that, LL could hire a locksmith to change the locks EVERYTIME you change it and charge YOU for the service.

I also cannot believe that a LL would have the audacity to insist that I give him the tools to use to abuse me further.
Because state law ALLOWS and DEMANDS the right to posses a key! Can you believe the audacity of a tenant who KNOWINGLY and WILLFULLY breaks the LL/T laws of their state?

Right to Enjoyment is VERY subjective, and is RARELY ruled in favor of the tenant.

LearnedHand

AK Landlord is Correct on Alaska State Law

Alaska Landlord, knows Alaska Law, which tracks at least 48 other State's laws, I cannot speak for the Napoleonic Code state of Louisiana.

That's because ALASKA LANDLORD researches the Law, whilst Tenant Advocates tend to IGNORE THE LAW, or Make it up out of Whole Cloth.

Ignorance of the Law is: NO EXCUSE !

sandyclaus

OP is still around, and has learned a thing or two since the original thread was posted. (Thankyouverymuch, Zig ;) )

Alaska Landlord MAY have known his Alaska LL/T law, but he sure didn't follow it or properly advise on it. He was constantly spewing his personally offensive brand of fluff all the time, and advising tenants to do things that were totally and completely illegal. It was for that reason, SO MANY TIMES OVER, that he was finally banned from this forum - for providing legally inaccurate advice well over 99.9% of the time.

Sounds like YOU might just be his reincarnation, LearnedHand. It also sounds like a lot of our contributors here can teach you a thing or two - stick around and get a bit of schooling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">