• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord's Permission required for installing satellite dish?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

babu

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Maryland
I am staying in a rented apt. in Rockville Maryland. Do I need to take my landlord's permission before installing the satellite dish in my patio ? I am staying in a ground floor apt. The dish is 18 inch in diameter. There is no mention about the permission in the lease. The landlord has verbally told me that if the permission is not obtained in writing the dish will be removed. They have also given me a single page which contains the terms and conditions for permission. As per the document, i need to take an insurance policy and the landlord's name should be mentioned as additional insurer. I submitted my home policy which they do not accept. Can someone advise?

treese

Does your lease have a clause regarding the tenant needing the LL's permission before making any alterations or improvements? The dish would be covered under this clause.

It is the LL's property and he can impose reasonable restrictions as the where and how the dish is installed.

Come on ... the LL is only trying to protect his property from potential damage. I have damage that shoddy installations can leave behind.

This is really simple, add his name as an additional insured to your current policy (it's not that hard to do) and follow the terms and conditions that he has outlined.

babu

Thanks!

Thanks for your time
I have a document received from the Satellite Dish company which says that the Dish will be installed inside the balcony. It further says no drilling or perforating will be needed. Flat cabling will be utilized.

I approached my insurance agent for the policy who says it is not possible to include the landlord's name in the policy. He said, in order to have the landlord's name in the policy, the landlord should take policy.

Any further advise would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">