• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord's responsibility for bad neighbors?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

beej

What is the name of your state? Minnesota

We live in a duplex. The neighbors in the other half of the house are loud (screaming at each other, slamming doors) and messy (throw trash in the yard, break a window and leave the glass on the shared porch). The mother often leaves and her kids come home from school and are locked out of the house; I found out from one of them today that she told them to come and knock on our door and use our phone whenever this happens. This happens a few times a week, and is very invasive.

They have had the police over there once for a domestic argument. They leave abandoned vehicles on the road and park illegally in front of the house. There are also multiple people living there at all times- they come and go. In general, a bad situation.

I have spoken to the landlord and he says that their lease is up, their rent is always late and they have been 'hinting' about moving out soon. Here are my questions:

-Does he have a legal obligation to fix this? I read something once about MN leases implying 'peaceful enjoyment of the property.'
-Do we have a legal reason to leave if this continues?
-What should I be doing (other than calling the landlord when things occur and documenting incidents) to make sure we are prepared for whatever comes next?

FarmerJ

So how many letters have you sent your LL (certified ) with your complaints ? Your LL can follow this states eviction laws next time they are late with the rent or just give them notice if they are now a month to month tenant. If your neighbor breaks a city ord call your local police dept. If your that concerned about the childrens well being then call your county govt center main number to learn how to get in touch with social services , if for example your in Hennipen county call 612 348 3000 to get the number for social services, if in Ramsey 651 266 6634 , Anoka 763 427 4760 , etc

beej

Thanks, Farmer J. I have not yet sent a certified letter, mainly because I was unsure whether this was the landlord's responsibility. It is not listed in our lease that we are entitled to quiet enjoyment of property, and I know that many landlords refuse to involve themselves in disputes between neighbors, so I am unsure if sending certified letters would do anything other than establish me as a complainer.

The thing is, my landlord is a newbie at this and doesn't seem to know what to do either- I wish he would stand up to the neighbors and evict them when their rent is late (as it always is) but even with me complaining he doesn't seem willing to do so.

So, my question is, are my complaints valid in a court of law and are they indeed the landlord's responsibility? Because if so, then yes they will go in a certified letter immediately.

We are also in the (admittedly cowardly) position of being afraid of retaliation, as the neighbors are not very nice people.

FarmerJ

If your in MPLS or the metro area contact your local police and ask for a community safer officer , Not sure how avail they are in smaller jurisdictions say like Fridley, Crystal Or just smaller towns like up here where I am all matters are handled by Sheriffs dept. etc but its worth a try for any issues that are considered police matters like disturbing the peace. Housing repair issues your LL will have to address. and the thing with the kids being locked out with no supervision is a social services matter. Even if your LL is a newbie at it thats no excuse , you can look up this states landlord tenant laws in the state govt web page links. there are many cities here that also have local ords so your city hall can provide info regarding local ords that might be broken.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">