• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

landlord's right to keys to property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

goodtry

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I am a landlord for a property in Virginia. I live out of state so a relative is acting as my agent and helping with maintenance of the property. Do I have the right to keep a key to the property (and give to my agent) so that repairs can be made, etc.? The key would only be used with the tenant's explicit permission to enter the property. If I do have the right, where can I find a copy of this code online?

thanks.

CourtClerk

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I am a landlord for a property in Virginia. I live out of state so a relative is acting as my agent and helping with maintenance of the property. Do I have the right to keep a key to the property (and give to my agent) so that repairs can be made, etc.? The key would only be used with the tenant's explicit permission to enter the property. If I do have the right, where can I find a copy of this code online?

thanks.
I don't know if this is what you are looking for but this is what I found online:

Your landlord may gain access to the property to make repairs, inspect the property, or to show the property to prospective buyers or tenants. In these cases, the tenant may not unreasonably withhold access to the property. In cases where access is denied, either party may bring a civil action in General District Court to remedy the issue. Section 55-248.10:1 of the VRLTA addresses the rights and remedies of both landlords and tenants.

The VRLTA spoken of is the Virginia Residential Landlord Tenant Act. A copy can be found for you online at http://www.dhcd.virginia.gov/HomelessnesstoHomeownership/PDFs/Landlord_Tenant_Handbook.pdf

You may want to peruse it when you have a minute.

I live in California, however, my lease specifically states that my management company has the right to enter my property for the reasons you stated, and a copy of an access key is located in the management office (the actual management company is located 120 miles away from the property). It even goes as far as to state that if I wish to change the locks on my apartment, I am REQUIRED to supply the management office with a copy of the key, or (if I get caught) they have the right to change the locks and charge me for it.

Alaska landlord

You probably don't fall under VRLTA. But, that is a good thing. Either way the same applies. You are entitle to a key and don't need permission to use it.

Cvillecpm

Under VRLTA or common law lease, you SHOULD have a key in your or your agent's possession and you just need to give "notice"....e-mail or phone call is considered notice....prior to entry and you don't need any permission or notice if you are making repairs that the tenant requested.

If your tenant is coming up with a permission regulation TASK THEM to provide you with a copy. The common law and VRLTA statutes are available online. The "permission" aspect is usually in NE rent control statutes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">