+ Reply to Thread
    watuwanz is offline Junior Member

Unhappy Landlord's water pipe explode on top of my ceiling

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York City (manhattan)

The landlord has water pipe on top of my ceiling, and one of them exploded for like 3 times during last winter because the water pipe was not in use, but just hang on there. I then wrote her a letter requesting her to remove the water pipe since the water pipe is not in use and it will interfere my business when it explode again. So, I want to know, should I write her a letter in the future because she didn't do anything about that water pipe that is on top of my ceiling, and i'm afraid when the winter come, the water pipe might explode again, and again with the same trouble. Also, can I request her to check all the pipes by sending her a letter as a notice? Lastly, if she fails to prevent water pipe explode, would I be able to request for the cost of electricity repair since there are wiring on my ceiling.
    Banned_Princess is offline Senior Member
    You should be carrying renters insurance. Definately. That will cover your belongings, Do you live in the place? or do rent a commercial property? Rent controlled building or a private home?

If the landlord does not make the necessary repairs call code enforcement. Go to your courthouse and have them set up an escrow for your rent so the landlord does not get paid until the repairs are made.
    ecmst12 is offline Senior Member
    If it is a commercial rental, the ONLY recourse you may have will be spelled out in your lease.