• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

LAST MO. RENT/DEPOSIT

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

betty wilson

i rented a house in ca. on section eight, i paid a deposit of 215.00 and my portion of the rent,in june of 1989, which got me into a home. my problem is i went off housing about a year ago,i have been paying the full amount. the house is up for sale now after 12 years, the landlord said i owe him more $when i move out because when i moved in i was on housing? is there a reason i would have to pay him, other then the last few days iam here for the month?

D

dj1

As long as you have a lease, the landlord or new owner cannot kick you out untill it expires.

The landlord has no reason to ask for any more money from you since he or the new owner will have to pay you back your security minus any damages, if you vacate.

If the landlord wants money he has to do it old fashioned way...he has to sue you in court and WIN!

BUT if the new owner wants you to stay...HE WILL probably ask you to increase your secuity to a FULL months rent, sign a lease or move.

[Edited by dj1 on 05-08-2001 at 03:20 PM]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">