• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

last months rent -use when giving 30 days notice?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

monkeefan

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

edit added later -(I forgot to mention my landlord has stated conflicting amounts of money that she is demanding. First she said I paid one month rent and a small deposit, so she says i owe last months rent. Then I sent her own old emails to me that I paid her first and last months rent she then admits to me paying, then she keeps changing from asking for last months rent or wanting a deposit because she forgot to ask me for one when I moved in. Now she is "emailing me" an eviction notice)

I want to make sure I'm handling moving out correctly. I told my landlord that June would be my last month, and we only have a verbal rental agreement.
She asked me for first and last months rent which I paid when I moved in, now over 4 years later when I told her I was moving she is demanding another months rent. She never asked me for anything when I moved in other than "first and last months rent", is it wrong to use last months rent for June?
I'm going to pay someone to clean my room when it's empty and I've told her this, but am I wrong to tell her I already paid for the last month?
She never asked for any cleaning fees or other deposits, she suddenly asked for more money 4 and a half years after I've moved in.

I'm moving because of her not making repairs for years, and of course I don't have anything in writing just emails and some of my electronic bank statements.

I'm trying to leave on good terms, but she keeps arguing about this. At the same time she's begging me to stay longer.

I found a new place and everything is fine with that and moving, I just want to leave my place nice and clean and take photos during the walkthrough and prove everything was cleaned and the room is the way it was when I moved in.
I'm not trying to sue her for not fixing anything, or other issues with her I just want to leave without oweing her and protect myself. I don't want to be in the wrong for anything, I've been a great tenant paying my rent early for over 4 years.

I've looked at the landlord/tenant act but I'm not trying to force her to make repairs, or anything like that. I've given up on trying to get things fixed.

Thanks for any advice :) It's realllllyyyy stressful trying to figure these things out.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Last edited:

monkeefan

proof

Well all I have is emails and my bank statement. I'll post some quotes from the emails.

From her recently "you are right, you did pay $900 when you were moving in. In my old email that you forwarded to me, I did say first and last months' rent of $900, but then in the email below, as you can see, I was talking about deposit and rent"
old email(2006) she was quoting "Yes you can move in tomorrow if you pay me the deposit and rent"

The original mail(2006) that she sent me right before this quote "I need first and last months' rent before you can move in, which is $900."

Then I have the bank statement showing $900 and an old txt message saying she checked the bank and I can move in. Then I have bank statements of continuous rent payments since that day.

I finally just emailed her that I'll agree to send her rent for June, but I really don't think she will ever give me any money back without going to court. She's never given anyone money back when they move out. (not that everyone did a good job of cleaning either)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">