• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Late notice on change in how to pay rent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

norbsnphx

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AZ
My landlord changed management companies which changed how we are supposed to pay rent and to whom. They notified me by mail, the notice was written on the 21st of the month with the change to go into effect on the 1st. We don't check our mail super often and didn't get this notice until after our rent had already been automatically paid to the old management company.
The old company is saying they gave the rent to the owner. The new management company is saying that they didn't and want us to pay rent again or they are going to evict us.
Are we okay with such short notice being given and having proof that we paid?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Ask the old management company for proof and then forward said proof to the new management company.

ETA: Based on what you posted, you don't have "proof" that you paid.

LdiJ

Ask the old management company for proof and then forward said proof to the new management company.

ETA: Based on what you posted, you don't have "proof" that you paid.
I don't agree that they don't have proof that they paid. They might not if payment was made in cash, but if not in cash, there is proof of some sort...and possibly even proof if they paid in cash.

Depending on when the OP normally made their rent payment 9-10 days notice is more than a bit questionable...particularly if there was any dispute between management companies.

I am nearly certain that a new management company who attempted to get an eviction conviction against a tenant who could prove that they paid rent to the previous management company...with this set of facts, would lose. Its not the tenants dispute, its the management/landlord's dispute.

norbsnphx

Thanks. That's what I am thinking. I have proof from the old management that I paid but the new company says not their problem and they are demanding rent to them :( scary.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">