• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Leak and Mold Issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bungie

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I reported a leak coming from behind the wall in the master bedroom of my apartment back in late November of 2008. They came in December while I was at work and repainted the wall where the leak was visable. As it did not present an issue for me after I assumed this issue was resolved. I february we had some rain again and I noticed the lead stain starting the form again so reported it once more to the office. The maintenance guy showed up to look at the wall and confirm it was a leak (like duh!). He said they would have to get the roofers in as I indicated it was already looked at before and the problem continues to exist because the root of the problem aparantly wasn't solved. As the roofers did not have to work in my apartment I did not know if they ever came or not but do know they never cae to repair my bedroom wall which the leak stain was growing and what appeared to be mold growing. Called and went into the office to check the status on the problem and let them know I was starting to get headaches from the smell as I slept inches away from the leak stain. I was told it was being taken care of. In early May we had extensive rainfall and it sounded as if I was outside when I was in my bedroom and the leak stain kept getting worse. I went once again to complain and this time also sent an email to the manager with pictures. That day they came in and started to dehumidify the room and was told the following day I had to vacate the apt for 3 days with no entry til they were done. I packed for 3 days for myself and kids and was relocated to their smaller guest apt. I have been there now for 3 weeks with no word on when this will come to an end and I can move back in and get my clothes.

Am I justified to say I will not pay rent for the weeks I have been inconvenienced and locked out of my apartment and my things? I am fortunate my kids are out of school so have not had the need for much clothes but I have been juggling to make different outfits out of the few things I grabbed for the 3 days I was told I was going to be out of my apartment.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">