+ Reply to Thread
    Fl_renter is offline Member

Leaking Septic System

What is the name of your state? Ga

I am positive that the septic tank at the house we are renting is leaking. We've talked to the LL about it but they "don't have any money" to even get it checked. I would like to report this to someone but who ? (as in Health Dept, etc..)

Thanks
    FarmerJ is offline Senior Member
    leaking to where? the ground surface and coming thru the grass ? under the house ? your county health dept OR its building inspections desk.
    There is about 3" of nastiness above the septic tank, which is abt 12 ft from the back of our house. We have absolutely no grass here so the dirt has been washed away by the rain and it's just sewage water.

Thanks.
    FarmerJ is offline Senior Member
    Just so you know, does your lease state who is responsible to hire a honeysucker truck to come out to service the tank ?
    We are tenant-at-will.
    justalayman is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FarmerJ View Post
    Just so you know, does your lease state who is responsible to hire a honeysucker truck to come out to service the tank ?
    I would suspect the problem is much greater than this. The leach field or drywell is most likely saturated or plugged.

Not something a tenant is responsible for typically.

as farmerj said; call the local health department or your local building inspector.
    Quote Originally Posted by justalayman View Post
    I would suspect the problem is much greater than this. The leach field or drywell is most likely saturated or plugged.

Not something a tenant is responsible for typically.

as farmerj said; call the local health department or your local building inspector.
    The house itself is less than 2yr old but it was vacant for a year and not taken care of so it has to be more than the tank being full.

Thanks, I will be calling them on Monday.
    I called Environmental Services today to report the problem and they will be sending someone out. Hopefully, it just needs to be pumped but if it's a major problem, I need to know what our rights are as tenant at will.

Are we entitled to a minimum notice to move if the house becomes inhabitable? I've looked up the renters rights for Ga but either it doesn't say or I am skipping over the part I need. My hub is worried that the tank is cracked and will need to be replaced, leave us without a place to live and too short of notice to find another place.
    Cvillecpm is offline Senior Member

Cool

Call the health department and ask them and then advise your landlord you are calling them for an inspection if they don't have the septic tank pumped.

Be prepared to move if the health department condemns the property.
    I've already called the Health Dept (enviro services) and they are coming to inspect tomorrow or Wednesday.

I am ready to move if need be, hubby isn't but he gets stuck with the majority of the work so I understand his concern. We were hoping to ride out the remainder of time at this duty station here so guess we will see what happens with the inspection.

Thanks
    Just an update... Environmental Services came out today and the guy said he didn't think the problem is that bad. He thinks either the pump is bad or there is a stoppage but someone will have to come out and look at it. He was able to stop by the LL's house to talk to her after he left here.

Thanks again.
    the pump??

You didn't say anything about a pump.
    Never had a septic system before this but apparently, there's a pump!

The owner said they need our help to pay he cost because they can't afford it, absolutely NOT.

maybe you could pay for the septic repair (or part of it) in lieu of paying rent.

If you do something like this, be sure to get any agreement in writing.
    I have no problem paying for the repair out of the rent, they want us to pay rent and then give them extra for whatever needs to be done. DH, the owner, and the owners boyfriend are all stationed together and we moved here as a favor to them. We all know you shouldn't rent/borrow money, etc.. for friends or family. They are always trying to be friends with us but this is purely a LL/tenant situation, something they don't seem to understand. I think we might just move after the holidays and make it easier on ourselves.