• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Leaky Ceiling

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LeighAnn

I live in an apartment in Lawrence, Kansas and am on the ground floor. There has been a leak in my bathroom for over a week now and the landlord was made aware of it and still has done nothing about it. The water is not only coming through the ceiling but also out from the bottom of the wall. It's really gross as it is water and urine from when the tenants upstairs flush. I am tired of having this all over my floor and collecting it in a can. What can I do? I believe this is a health hazard not to mention my apartment smells like a giant unflushed toilet. I have lived here over a year and a half and have always paid my rent on time if not early. We have new owners and management and the managers live across the hall from me and still have made no attempt to come and look at this problem. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!

D

dj1

well do you have a lease? then take pictures and send it to the landlord cerified mail sayinfg you have requested this be repaired and if its not fixed in say 5 days, you will not be responsible for any damage caused by the landlord neglect.

also cal the health dept. and get an inspector to look at it, they probably willlf ine the landlord.

If you have no lease. then give them a a 30 day notice with a statment that they are responsible for the water damage, and move by May 31st...becuase you wont win if you stay.

Take lots of pictures and prepare for them to sue you and you counter sue for your secuirty back

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">