• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lindalc66

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nevada
I am a senior, disabled with numerous issues. I moved into an apt. in January of this year (2014). Due to my disability and its progression, my doctor does not want me to live alone any longer. She has given me a letter stating that I can no longer live alone due to medical issues. According to my lease, it states lease can be terminated due to military transfer out of the area or for medical reasons where tenant can no longer live alone - which is what it is in my case. I need to go to the office to present them with a copy of this letter and talk to them about termination of the lease - there should be no reason they cannot release me as it states right in their own lease that I can for medical reasons. (I have to go live with my sister at this point.) My doctor wants me to move as soon as I possibly can. I have fallen twice in the last 3 days and I asked about one of those medical alert things but she still says no - I cannot be alone - not just because of the falls, but other issues as well. I have done some research online and cannot find a definitive answer to one question - contacted legal aid, but you have to go there to talk to them - they won't talk over phone about this particular issue and it's difficult for me to go anywhere. Question is this...being my doctor has made the statement and provided the letter I need to move asap, do I have to give my landlord 30 days notice? I would like to move by end of this month to be with the family to help with my care, but not sure and cannot find information. As I said above - live in Nevada and lease does state I can move for medical reasons but doesn't give a "notice time period". I am really confused by what the notice situation is...they will keep my security anyway - that's what lease says - you can terminate but they keep security and it is a lot less than rent as it was a "special" security deposit when I moved in. They have a waiting list so i know they could rent the apartment within a week or so. Could someone advise - I realize this is only advise and not like seeing an attorney. Thank you to anyone who can help me - I am driving myself crazy with all this and my anxiety level is really high and very stressed. Thank you.

Last edited:

Gail in Georgia

Why don't you simply ask management if you can move as soon as you can, both because your physician has said you cannot live alone and because of your recent history of falls.

Management may agree to allow you out quickly to avoid any liability for not doing so because of your tendency to fall.

Frankly, I'm a bit surprised that your lease gives you an "out" for medical reasons; that's highly unusual in a lease.

Gail

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">