• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is Lease break due to job transfer allowed in Michigan?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

happipuppi

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? - Michigan

I signed up lease from Jun'08 to Jun'09 in Rochester Hills, MI 48307.
I got job transferred from Michigan to Georgia in Nov'08. I've letter from my company for relocation.
I asked the leasing office to accept two months rent as penalty and close the lease but they didnt agree.
My lease agreement does not have lease breakage clause. It states I'm liable for entire term of lease or I can get someone sublet it. For subletting, I've put ad and so far, I got 4 positive responses but leasing office rejected all of them stating poor credit, out of job etc.
I think, leasing office is unnecessarily knocking off all the responses,as they are getting the on time rent from me.

Can I get free of rental lease in Michigan due to job transfer, even though there is no job transfer clause in my lease agreement? Is there any implicit job transfer clause in Michigan?

I've already handed over keys and possession to the leasing office.
What options do I have now to come out of rental lease at Michigan? I'm ready to pay 1-2 months and come out of the lease but the leasing office do not want any compromise and they want me pay for 7 months to complete the lease.
My monthly rent is $660.

Can I stop paying the rent bocz I've signed up new lease at Georgia. I cant pay double rent for next 7 months.

Please help.

ecmst12

The only way you get to stop paying is if they find a new tenant to replace you. In most states, they would be required to mitigate their damages and make a reasonable effort to find a new tenant.

You don't get to break your lease because of a job transfer, in ANY state, unless you are in the military. You could, however, see if your employer is willing to assist you since they gave you this transfer that you presumably did not ask for.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? - Michigan

I signed up lease from Jun'08 to Jun'09 in Rochester Hills, MI 48307.
I got job transferred from Michigan to Georgia in Nov'08. I've letter from my company for relocation.
I asked the leasing office to accept two months rent as penalty and close the lease but they didnt agree.
My lease agreement does not have lease breakage clause. It states I'm liable for entire term of lease or I can get someone sublet it. For subletting, I've put ad and so far, I got 4 positive responses but leasing office rejected all of them stating poor credit, out of job etc.
I think, leasing office is unnecessarily knocking off all the responses,as they are getting the on time rent from me.

Can I get free of rental lease in Michigan due to job transfer, even though there is no job transfer clause in my lease agreement? Is there any implicit job transfer clause in Michigan?

I've already handed over keys and possession to the leasing office.
What options do I have now to come out of rental lease at Michigan? I'm ready to pay 1-2 months and come out of the lease but the leasing office do not want any compromise and they want me pay for 7 months to complete the lease.
My monthly rent is $660.

Can I stop paying the rent bocz I've signed up new lease at Georgia. I cant pay double rent for next 7 months.

Please help.
**A: unless you are active military, you would have no out based on job transfer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">