• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lease ends today - landlord didn't send new lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stressedrenter9

Hey there!

I live in Colorado and my lease ends today (April 30). I texted my landlord over a month ago saying that we would like to renew our lease. She said that was great, that she would not raise rent and keep the agreement the same, and that she would send the new lease as soon as she could.

Now our lease is expiring today, I never received the new lease, and come to find out our duplex neighbor has sold their half of the building. I am afraid that my landlord is wanting to sell her half to the same buyer of the duplex. She hasn't gotten back to me at all today .. I'm kind of stressed out.

We have been at this location for 2 years and were going to sign another year agreement. In Colorado, the landlord must give 30 days notice to vacate in a year lease and 7 days in a month-to-month agreement.

My question: do we have any rights in this situation? Have we technically already entered into a new year lease?

Thank you for any and all help you could provide me with. With rent being so high in Colorado, I'm afraid it would be extremely hard for me to find a new place to live in such short notice, so needless to say, I am a bit stressed out.

Thank you!

Last edited:

FarmerJ

So does your lease it self say that you must give a 30 day notice to vacate if you chose to not renew? see every thing else in the lease but the term still applies , but if the lease said that 30 days notice must be given before vacating then LL also would have to give you 30 days to change something like raising the rent or telling you to move out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">