• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

lease issues help!!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

debga

GA-
HI,
I went to my apartment complex office today to give a 64 day notice to end my lease but was told my lease wasn't over until March. I renewed it this past March for 6 mos my lease should be ending in Sept their computer shows March. I had them pull my file it was typed in lease from October 2015 ( which has not occurred yet ) to September 2016. Also the manager had scratched out somethings and initialed them. I went home and pulled my copy which shows the Oct 2015-Sept 2016 apparently I only saw Sept and did not notice the year and the beginning date. My copy does not have anything scratched out nor initialed. I was trying to be pleasant about the fact that there must have been a typo but they were very rude telling me this would go against my credit and I would be liable for additional months of rent. I have never seen the same person more than twice here management changes weekly. I am very upset. I am in GA. Please advise if this lease is valid with the incorrect issue and management changing hand writing changing it without my knowledge. Please and thank you,
Deb in GA

Gail in Georgia

It would appear the copy of your own lease indicates it ends September 2016. Typo error or not, this is what you signed. Thus, a court would likely side with management on this issue (Georgia is a very landlord friendly state).

Does your lease allow you to sublease or perhaps have an early lease termination clause where you can "buy" yourself out of this lease? If so, these may be options for you to consider.

Gail

Stephen1

It would appear the copy of your own lease indicates it ends September 2016. Typo error or not, this is what you signed. Thus, a court would likely side with management on this issue (Georgia is a very landlord friendly state).

Does your lease allow you to sublease or perhaps have an early lease termination clause where you can "buy" yourself out of this lease? If so, these may be options for you to consider.

Gail
OP's lease that ends Sept 2016 hasn't started yet (starts Oct 2015). The LL's computer shows an end date (March 2016) that doesn't match the signed lease. No one seems to hold a copy of a lease, signed and initialed by all parties, that covers right now (previous lease ended March 2015 and new lease doesn't start until October 2015). This may all be grounds to sit down with the LL and negotiate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">