• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is the lease null/void?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dynasty_four

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia.

So my buddies and I moved into this pretty crappy house in november of 08. On the lease the landord said the certain things would be fixed. Such as doors, the back door, locks, electrical outlets and other random things. Well to this day he still has not fixed anything. I want out and am wondering if its voided by this seeing how nothing was done. Also we did a mold sample test and it was positive for mold. Within a day the dish was filled. Also out kitchen floor is becoming warped due to leaking in the pipes somewhere and we have told him time after time and no one has come to look at it. On top of that the power is in his name but he just forwarded the bill to us and we would pay it. Well something happened and linked our house and the house down the street (which is vacant) bills together. So when we paid ours we thought we'd be fine, but the power went out yesterday due to the fact that the other house was not paid, and since its on the same account both go shut off... Any help, this is a night mare and im trying to get out of it.:mad:

Some Random Guy

Have you contact the local housing department or code enforcement offices?

Have you documented the ongoing prolems in writing with the landlord and asked for them to be fixed?

dynasty_four

Have you contact the local housing department or code enforcement offices?

Have you documented the ongoing prolems in writing with the landlord and asked for them to be fixed?
No to the first one. and the second one yes. My roomate has tried to get him out here and has emailed him back and forth saying whats wrong.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
No to the first one. and the second one yes. My roomate has tried to get him out here and has emailed him back and forth saying whats wrong.
So, what you're saying is that you have NOT documented these problems IN WRITING.

Zigner

not in writing. but they are documented. whats it matter if its in an email versus on a piece of paper?
I could fake a pretty convincing email.

ETA: How could you ever *prove* he received the email? Or that you even sent it for that matter?

Gail in Georgia

Your options in regards to a landlord failing to make repairs in Georgia (note; this does not include you ability to terminate the lease):

Repairs to Property

In addition, the fact that a dish grew mold does not, in any way, provide proof that this mold is a danger to your health. Georgia is hot and moist; mold/mildew easily grows here.

Gail

not in writing. but they are documented. whats it matter if its in an email versus on a piece of paper?
An email is a "writing." It will satisfy any requirements that something be in writing.

Zigner's nonsense about proving this and proving that... *sigh*

Keep in mind that he is not a lawyer and has no legal education. Also, more than likely he's never even been involved in a lawsuit as a plaintiff/defendant. He's certainly not qualified to "advise" anybody about the requirements of winning a lawsuit. You have to remember that anybody can create a username and start answering questions on this legal forum. There is no screening process. The vast majority of those who "advise" others have no legal education/experience. Keep that in mind when you read responses.

Zigner

If you can't prove it to the court's satisfaction, it didn't happen. Always remember that ;)

If you can't prove it to the court's satisfaction, it didn't happen. Always remember that ;)
Well that's brilliant.

The OP should also remember that there is a good chance that the court will be satisfied with the email and sworn testimony as to its authenticity.

Cvillecpm

OP wants to claim constructive eviction he has allowed situation to go on WAY TOOOO LOOONG.....If the condition/non-repairs are the issue, he should have left in Dec'08 - not 10 months later

Zigner

Well that's brilliant.

The OP should also remember that there is a good chance that the court will be satisfied with the email and sworn testimony as to its authenticity.
I sent it Judge - really I did!

Yeah, that's MUCH better than a signed USPS return receipt. Uh huh. Brilliant :rolleyes:

Andy0192

Emails are faked easily enough.

What's your response if the landlord says "Judge, I never saw that email before in my life! I don't know what they're trying to pull... " ?

Your landlord promised to fix certain items, and you've got those things listed on the lease. That's a good start. Did the landlord commit to any kind of time frame on the repairs? Did he do so in writing?

I sent it Judge - really I did!

Yeah, that's MUCH better than a signed USPS return receipt. Uh huh. Brilliant :rolleyes:
Much better? Who made that claim? That's about as dumb a post as I've seen you make. How about this for my response:

I sent the letter USPS return receipt Judge - really I did!

Yeah, that's much better than a video recording of the OP actually handing the letter to the landlord. Uh huh. Brilliant :rolleyes:
I'm sure you'll say "but Cameron, a return receipt is proof!" Okay, prove what was in the envelope that was sent return receipt. :rolleyes:

The point is that a USPS return receipt is great evidence. A video of the events is even better. Fortunately, neither is required. Thus, your posts have been useless.

Emails are faked easily enough.

What's your response if the landlord says "Judge, I never saw that email before in my life! I don't know what they're trying to pull... " ?
Letters are faked easily enough.

What's your response if the landlord says "Judge, I never saw that letter before in my life! I don't know what they're trying to pull... " ?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">